25 Nov Formulating the Right Waste Management Plan for Your Restaurant
If you own or manage an eatery, you are probably constantly looking for ways to improve your bottom line. As a member of society, it’s likely that you’re interested in ways you can boost your sales while limiting your restaurant’s impact on the environment at the same time.
One way you can achieve both of those goals is to have a two-pronged waste management plan in place for your restaurant. The first part of the plan should include measures to reduce the waste your establishment generates. The second part should involve finding a waste removal and recycling partner that can help you cut your operating costs.
Steps to Reduce Waste
No matter what business you’re in, your organization is going to produce waste of some sort and your restaurant is no exception. While that’s the case, you can take steps to reduce the amount of waste your eatery generates and reduce your restaurant’s carbon footprint in both the short- and long-terms.
Here are some of the things you can do to reduce the volume of waste your restaurant generates and limit your establishment’s impact on the environment:
- Order products that are packaged using less material
- Ask your suppliers to remove, reuse and recycle shipping boxes
- Purchase your drink mixes in concentrate
- Use a beverage dispenser to serve carbonated beverages like sodas
- Only use condiment bottles that can be refilled
- Buy paper products made with recycled materials
- Use linens, flatware and plates that can be reused
- Rotate your perishable goods appropriately to avoid spoilage
- Store vegetables and other perishable items in airtight containers that can be used repeatedly to prevent dehydration and waste
- Prepare food to order to avoid prepping too much food and creating waste
- Repurpose vegetable and meat scraps in soup stock
- Buy your products from local suppliers whenever possible
Finding a Waste Removal and Recycling Partner
If your restaurant is located in or near the Windy City, you needn’t look beyond Lakeshore Recycling Systems to find local waste services in the Chicago area. For more than two decades, we’ve been partnering with businesses of all sizes to help them reduce their waste and lower their waste removal and recycling costs. And we can do the same for your restaurant.
When you make our local waste services in Chicago part of your restaurant’s waste management plan, we’ll help you determine how often you need to have your eatery’s trash removed and the days of the week that are most convenient for your business. We’ll also determine the size of the dumpster that’s best for your location and discuss our transparent, affordable fees.
We’ll even help you implement a recycling program at your restaurant. If you already have one in place, we’ll review your program and identify ways you can make it even more efficient and effective.
Whether it’s helping you to remain in compliance with health, safety and regulatory mandates, introducing cost-effective ways to remove waste or recycle, educating your employees about recycling or something else, we’re here for you. Learn more about the money-saving services Lakeshore Recycling Systems provides to Chicagoland businesses today.