City of Des Plaines Waste, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection Program
LRS began serving as the city’s official residential hauler for waste, recycling and organics on March 1, 2021, We are excited to provide Des Plaines residents with Chicagoland’s best and most reliable hauling services.
LRS is Chicagoland’s premier waste and recycling hauler and looks forward to providing Des Plaines residents with the highest levels of waste and recycling collection, customer service, and value. We know that Des Plaines residents have high expectations when it comes to weekly collection services; we look forward to exceeding those standards.
Senior Citizen Discount
In order to receive the senior citizen discount, please fill out and sign the form and send via email or mail, along with proof of age and eligibility in the form of a valid state-issued driver’s license or identification card or United States passport.
All Des Plaines residents will remain serviced on the same collection day they currently have.
You will be provided one garbage cart by LRS, which will be serviced on a weekly basis. Cart size options: 35-gallon, 65-gallon and 95-gallon (95-gallon will be the default size). One ‘bulk’ item a week may be placed out for collection at no additional charge. Additional bulk items may be placed out for collection but may result in a service charge.
Additional waste carts may be rented at a cost of $3.00 per month.
You will be provided one recycling cart by LRS, which will be serviced on a weekly basis. Cart size options: 35-gallon, 65-gallon and 95-gallon (65-gallon will be the default size). Your recycling service will continue to be defined as single-stream, which means most clean and non-contaminated household items will be considered recyclable. A list of acceptable and unacceptable items is included in this mailer. (Please note: pizza boxes, plastic bags of any kind and textiles/clothing are not acceptable recycling items.)
Residents may place out as much accepted recycling items as they wish each week for collection.
Additional recycling carts may be rented at a cost of $3.00 per month.
- Recyclable plastic items are #1 – #7 except #6.
- Recycling materials should be loose and not bagged. If you must use a bag, it needs to be transparent. Black bags will be considered contaminated.
- Containers that have previously stored liquid or food should be emptied. Food and liquid containers do not have to be rinsed unless it was previously filled with a heavy substance. Examples of heavy substance products include tomato paste, peanut butter and vegetable oil.
- Lids and caps from plastic bottles and glass jars is preferred to remain intact prior to recycling.
- To limit the amount of space used, break down any cardboard boxes into pieces.
- The following items are NOT recyclable although they are made from paper, plastic and cardboard:
- Pizza boxes
- Paper plates
- Plastic cups (i.e. Solo cups)
- Paper towels
- Plastic grocery bags
YARD WASTE COLLECTION
Similar to your waste and recycling service, LRS will provide collection of properly placed yard waste material on a weekly basis. This service is seasonal, and will run from April 1, through the end of November.
All yard waste must be placed in a proper receptacle, not to exceed 50lbs in weight. Paper kraft bags may also be used. User-owned cans should not exceed 35-gallons and should be clearly marked as ‘Yard Waste.’ Cans and kraft bags that contain excessive amounts of soil, dirt or earth may go uncollected. LRS will also take bundles of sticks, twigs and branches that are no more than 4’ in length, and 18” in diameter.
Your yard waste collection day will be the same as your waste and recycling collection day. All items and material should be placed out for collection by 7AM.