Village of Richmond: Solid Waste & Recycling Collection
LRS is proud to be the preferred waste and recycling partner for Richmond. To learn more about this residential service, pickup schedule, and cart information please visit
In addition to being the exclusive residential waste and recycling hauler for Richmond, many Richmond homeowners are currently in need of dumpster rental, on-site storage, portable bathrooms and street sweeper services. LRS is here to help. We have the most professional and affordable dumpster rental, on-site storage, portable bathrooms and street sweeper services available in Richmond. We offer many different services that all can be customized to meet whatever residential needs you may have.
Richmond Collection Guidelines
- All paying customers will receive one 95-gallon garbage toter and one 65-gallon recycle toter
- Senior discount is available, please call the office for further information
- Must be 65 years of age or older with valid proof of ID
- Solid waste and recycling will be picked up on THURSDAYS
- Pick-up will occur between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Optional yard waste programs are available. Stickers or seasonal subscription. Please call the office for more information
- Stickers can be purchased at : Village Hall 5600 Hunter Dr, Richmond or by calling our office at 844-NEED-LRS
- Garbage and recycling must be placed by the drive and at least 5 feet away from stationery objects (basketball hoops, mailboxes, vehicles. Etc.).
Newspaper and inserts
Magazine catalogs & phone books
Office paper notebooks
Hanging file folders (remove metal & trash it)
Pastel sticky notes
Brown paper grocery bags
- NO used paper plates or pizza boxes, or fluorescent paper (they contaminate the paper stream with food, dye, or plastic coating) If the pizza box top is clean you can tear it off and recycle it.
- NO paper towels, tissues, or napkins, which are not recyclable because the fibers are too small to reuse (please compost them with kitchen food scraps if possible)
- NO Shredded Paper – Loose shredded paper causes major sorting problems in the Recycling Facilities
- NO frozen food boxes, which are made of a hybrid of paper and plastic, and are not wanted by paper mills
- NO paper cups, which are also made of a hybrid of paper and plastic rendering them unrecyclable
Aluminum Cans & Foil
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil
- Pie plates and trays
- Milk, Soup
- Cardboard Egg Cartons
- Juice cartons & boxes
ALL CONTAINERS, BOTTLES OR CANS MUST BE THOROUGHLY RINSED BEFORE PLACING IN RECYCLING CONTAINER
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids
- Empty aerosol cans
Glass Bottle & Jars
- All colors are accepted
- NO window or auto glass, bakeware, ceramics, mirrors, light bulbs, coffee pots or drinking glasses
- Plastic bottles
- Plastic tubs
- Plastic jugs
- NO plastic bags or plastic film (plastic wraps, sandwich bags, freezer bags, tarps)
- NO plastic utensils or plates (plastic wraps, sandwich bags, freezer bags, tarps), cups, lids or straws
- NO candy wrappers, cereal bags, potato chip bags, or snack bags
- NO empty motor oil, pesticide, or chemical bottles
- NO Styrofoam, polystyrene (do not put in curbside bin)
- Yard waste (also known as landscape waste) season is April 1st through November 30th, every year.
- Optional yard waste collection will occur weekly, same day as trash day. Subscription/Stickers program.
Resident Owned Containers & Biodegradable Yard Waste Bags
- Residents may use a waste container marked with an “X” or “YARD WASTE.” Residents may also use biodegradable lawn, landscape, or yard waste bags. Containers or bags may not exceed the 50-pound weight limit each.
Yard Waste Container
- Residents may rent a 95-gallon cart for yard waste collection.
- Residents may place up to 2 free bags of yard waste per week during the season.
Brush Bundles or Twigs
- Brush bundles tied in biodegradable twine may not exceed 4’ (feet) in length, 4” (inches) in width and 50 pounds. Tree limbs may not exceed 4” (inches) in diameter. Unbundled brush will not be collected.
- Please note that sod, dirt, rock, whole trees, limbs greater than 4 inches and stumps are not part of the weekly yard waste program
Christmas Tree Collection
- Christmas Trees will be collected the two weeks immediately following Christmas on your pick-up day.
LEAF VACCUMMING: There will be 1 spring leaf vacuum and 3 fall dates. Please see the village webpage for more information. Please have the leaves at the curb by 6:00 a.m.
E-WASTE: curbside pick-up dates will 1st Thursday of April and October
- “Bulk Items” are items that are too large to fit into a cart or can. LRS will collect one bulk item per week at no charge. If a bulk item is deemed hazardous, unacceptable for landfills or weighs more than 50lbs, that item will not be taken. Please schedule a special pickup with LRS for these types of items. Any additional bulk items requested to be serviced on the same day, must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS.
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill. LRS will service household latex paints and chemicals with preschedule direct to LRS. There is a limit of 5 gallons of materials
In addition to curbside pickup, LRS encourages residents to use drop off locations provided by Swalco. Household Chemical Waste (HCW) | Lake County SWALCO, IL
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Household Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
LRS Customers and Richmond residents have the option of utilizing LRS free drop-off for the materials below:
- Holiday Light
Drop off location: 5600 Hunter Drive Richmond, IL 60071
Hours: Mon thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday closed
Invoices are sent in advance on a quarterly basis for services. Payments are due 30 days from the date of the invoice. Late fees will apply for payments received late. As nearly all costs associated with providing the service increase on a regular basis, rates are increased on an annual basis every July.
Auto Payment Option
- LRS offers an auto-pay option for residents who choose to establish this method of payment. Once you receive an invoice from LRS, you may choose this option. If you would like to elect for auto pay, you may do so by going to Payments@LRSrecycles.com. You will be asked to create a username and password.
- The mailing address for payments is: LRS PO BOX 554892 DETROIT, MI 48255-4892
- To pay online, please visit https://www.lrsrecycles.com/pay-bill/
Contact LRS at 847.381.9300 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for items you are unsure of. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, concrete, or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways LRS can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.