Village of Elburn Residential Refuse, Recycling & Yard Waste Services
LRS is proud to be a partner to the Village of Elburn and provide Elburn homeowners with a variety of waste collection options with our residential service program. We provide weekly residential refuse, recycling, and yard waste services for the Elburn residents as well as options for electronic waste disposal and an organic compost option with yard waste. The following information provides more detail on the services LRS provides for Elburn residents.
If you would like to speak with one of our Elburn Customer Care Representatives, please contact LRS by calling 844-633-3577 or email us at Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Collection Day & Time
Wednesday is the collection day for refuse (garbage), recycling and yard waste.
All items need to be placed out to the curb by 6:45AM.
Garbage collection is unlimited. Residents may use a non-LRS cart or container for waste or recycling materials that do not fit into the LRS issued cart so long as it does not exceed 35 gallons, 50 lbs. and has two handles. You are to use the LRS issued cart first.
Please note garbage mixed with yard waste, leaves or organic material will not be collected, as this material is not permitted in State of Illinois Landfills.
LRS provides carts in three assorted sizes to residents. If you would like to inquire about changing cart sizes, please email Service@LRSRecycles.com or call 844.633.3577 and any of our service representatives would be happy to assist (fees may apply).
Residents may request an additional 95-gallon garbage cart for $5.00 per month.
Subscription Service Rates
Subscription services include the cart size of choice being a 35 gallon, 65-gallon or 95-gallon garbage cart and a recycling cart is included at no additional charge.
LRS provides one cart for recycling at no charge for each household. Carts are available in 35, 65 and 95-gallon. Additional carts are available upon request. Contact LRS Customer Service for more information or with questions on recycling.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day of the week as the garbage and yard waste
- You are to use the LRS issued cart first for recycled materials
- Please MARK the additional box or container used as RECYCLE so the driver can clearly see it
- Plastic bags with recycling material cannot be accepted
- There is no limit to the amount of acceptable recycle items that can be placed out for collection
- LRS suggests using a cardboard box as a makeshift bin and place all broken down materials inside
- Remove metal cops and rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows are accepted
Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer print outs, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are ok to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles include: Water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo,health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs include: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs include: milk and juice
- Jars include: mayo, peanut butter
Unaccepted Recyclables – Do not place in recycle cart
Paper Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Fluorescent paper
- Frozen food box
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Pizza boxes
- Shredded paper
- Used paper plates
Steel/Tin Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Propane tanks
- Wire hangers
- Small appliances
Glass/Ceramic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Auto or car window glass
- Coffee pot
- Drinking glasses
- Light bulbs
Plastic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Candy wrapper
- Cereal bags
- Empty chemical bottle or jug
- Empty motor oil bottle or jug
- Empty pesticide bottle or jug
- Film or wrap
- Freezer bags
- Grocery bags
- Potato chip bags
- Sandwich bags
- Snack bag
Please contact LRS customer service if you have any questions on how to dispose of any of the unaccepted recyclable materials.
Yard Waste season begins April 1 through December 1 each year. LRS will collect an unlimited quantity of properly prepared and containerized acceptable yard waste materials every week. Yard waste must be properly prepared according to the yard waste guidelines described in this section.
What is Considered Yard Waste?
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, branches and brush and other yard and garden trimmings, vines, garden plants and flowers, weeds, tree droppings (pinecones and crabapples) and other similar organic waste materials accumulated because of the cultivation and maintenance of lawns, shrubbery, vines, trees and gardens.
Organic Food Scrap may be mixed in with yard waste during the yard waste season.
Organic Food Scrap includes: bread, cereal, coffee grounds, dairy, egg shells, eggs, fruits, grain, pasta, shells, and vegetables.
Unacceptable materials include sod, dirt, Christmas trees and wreath greenery/garland is not considered yard waste.
- Use a 2 ply (or thicker), biodegradable yard waste/landscape paper bags not to exceed 50 lbs
- Container not exceeding 35 gallons, marked with large “X” or “YW” or “YARD WASTE”
- Brush bundles tied in biodegradable twine not exceeding 4’ length, 2’ width and 50 lbs
- 65-gallon LRS yard waste carts – Available for $3.00 per month
- 95-gallon LRS yard waste carts – Available for $5.00 per month
Christmas trees (not artificial) will be collected for no charge between January 1 through January 13th. Please be sure trees are not frozen to the ground and not artificial, not in any plastic bags and free of tinsel, lights and ornaments. If you are looking to have a Christmas tree removed after the 13th of January, prepayment and prescheduling is required, contact customer service.
“Bulk Items” are items that are too large to fit into a cart or can. LRS will collect one bulk item per week at no charge. If a bulk item is deemed hazardous, unacceptable for landfills or weighs more than 50lbs, that item will not be taken. Please schedule a special pickup with LRS for these types of items. Any additional bulk items may be collected for $25.00 per item prepaid.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS refuse (garbage) includes the following; bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of sectional couch, mattress, frame or wall picture, or a toy. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered a bulk item.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses must be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found at local grocery stores, hardware stores, storage and moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Bulk items requiring special equipment and additional labor, such as a piano, sofa sleeper (couch with pull out bed) and large entertainment center, and construction debris are considered a Special Refuse Collection.
Call LRS if you are not sure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by e-mail to Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go into the regular garbage). LRS provides an E-Waste Home Collection for Elburn Residents the second Wednesday of every quarter. Please contact LRS to see when the next collection date is. This service provides a more convenient and simple way to properly manage electronics that are banned from the landfill. There is no charge for this service. A request must be submitted to ensure collection.
Is there a cost for curbside E-Waste Collection?
LRS E-Waste curbside collection is a sticker-based program. The ORANGE E-Waste sticker is available at Jewel and Village Hall in Elburn. The cost for handling E-Waste varies depending on the item.
Scheduling an E-Waste Collection
Please notify LRS at least 24 hours prior to the start of collection when you will be putting E-Waste out for collection by calling 844-633-3577 or email us at Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Placement & Stickers Required
Please place E-Waste separate from regular garbage, recycling or yard waste. Smaller E-Waste items should be placed inside a clear plastic bag, paper grocery bag or small cardboard box, clearly marked as “E-WASTE.”
TVs and monitors should be placed on the opposite side of the driveway or at least 5 feet away from regular garbage, recycling or yard waste, and/or carts.
E-Waste Required Stickers
- One sticker = 1 small E-Waste item (such as a computer mouse, excludes TV’s and Monitors).
- Five stickers = E-Waste Stickers = One bundle in brown paper bag/box not exceeding 24” x 24” x 24” or larger item such as keyboard, video cassette recorder or small digital disc player, printer
- Ten stickers = TV or Computer Monitor
What is considered E-Waste?
- Cable Receivers
- Cellular Phones
- Computers (desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet)
- Digital Converter Boxes
- DVD Players
- DVD Recorders
- Computer Mouse
- Fax Machines
- MP3 Players (iPods)
- Satellite Receivers
- Small Scale Servers
- TV’s and Monitors
- Videocassette Recorders
- Video Game Consoles
Non-Accepted E-Waste Items
The following items will not be accepted: large appliances, air conditioners, ballasts, bare CRT tubes, capacitors, dehumidifiers, household batteries (AA, AAA, D, C, Lithium), light bulbs, liquids, microwaves, salvaged units, smoke detectors, vacuum cleaners, VHS cassette tapes and medical equipment (any material that is considered or has come in contact with biohazard or radioactive material).
Please email Service@LRSRecycles.com or call 844-633-3577 if you have any inquiries regarding what can and cannot be accepted on your electronics recycling day.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that are corrosive, toxic, flammable or poisonous.
LRS suggests residents take their HHW to a secure drop off location for no charge:
156 Fort Hill Dr, Naperville (630-420-6095)
LRS does not offer curbside collection for any HHW and will leave any behind found at the curb.
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Household Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
“White Goods,” are appliances containing CFC, HCFC, PCBs, mercury switches or other hazardous components (refrigerators, air conditioners, humidifiers, etc.) that cannot go in landfills. LRS can collect most standard appliances with a prepayment and prescheduling at $35.00 per appliance. Appliances are collected separately by a box truck, so they may not be serviced at the same collection time. Please contact customer service at 844.633.3577 to schedule a request.
Contact LRS at 844-633-3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for any items you are unsure about. Please include your address as well as much detail regarding the item(s) as possible. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are a Special Refuse Collection. LRS provides special pick-ups or special collections for large amounts of garbage from a move-out or a flooded basement or large clean outs. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste that includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, carpeting or padding, concrete or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided and items will be charged by the yard.
Residents also have the option of ordering a construction style, open top (roll-off) dumpster from LRS. Click here to learn more about having an open top dumpster delivered.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways Lakeshore can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
- LRS bills quarterly in advance every January, April, July and October
- Invoices will be billed to the Property Owner
- Invoices will be mailed to the service address unless another address is provided
- E-mail Billing and Auto-Pay options are available
- Residents will be able to create an online account once they have an open LRS invoice
- Instructions on how to enroll in auto pay and create and online account can be found below
- Mail payments to:
PO BOX 4700
CAROL STREAM, IL 60197-4700
Residents may opt to receive paperless invoicing by registering online. Click here to register for paperless invoicing and scroll to where it reads “Sign up for Paperless Billing”.
Auto Payment Option
LRS offers an auto-pay option for residents who choose to establish this method of payment. If you would like to elect for auto pay, you may do so by clicking here to the online portal and either logging in or creating an account.
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
For more information, questions and to arrange for services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. or Saturday 7a.m. – Noon at 844-633-3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com.
IMPROPERLY PREPARED MATERIALS placed for collection will not be collected. LRS will place a tag noting the reason items were left behind.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damages occur to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste, recycling or yard waste services are not collected on the service day by 6 pm, please contact LRS by either calling 844.633.3577 or e-mailing Service@lrsrecycles.com
Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.