Village of Elburn residential refuse, recycling & yard waste services
Frequently asked questions
What is the Pickup Day in Elburn?
Elburn service day is Wednesday. All materials need to be placed curbside by 6:45AM in order to ensure collection. Six major holidays may postpone the regular collection day. See Holiday Schedule below.
What is Included With Weekly Refuse, Recycle & Yard Waste Collection?
- Weekly collection of unlimited quantities of properly prepared (containerized or bagged):
- Yard waste
- 95 gallon wheeled refuse (garbage) cart with a flip top lid
- 65 gallon wheeled recycle cart with a flip top lid
- One (1) large or bulk item that does not fit into a container or bag
- Organic Food Scraps Compost Collection – SEASONAL
- Paperless billing and automatic payment options
What Other Services & Options Are Available?
- Option for additional carts for monthly fee
- Residents who would like to exchange their garbage, recycle or yard waste cart may request by emailing or calling the LRS Elburn Customer Service.
- A $15.00 Exchange Fee applies.
- Residents may select from three (3) different size carts being a 35, 65 or 95 gallon for refuse (garbage) or recycling.
- Optional yard waste cart service
- Yard waste carts are an option for a small monthly fee. Please call or email LRS Elburn Customer Service.
- Optional curbside electronic waste (E-Waste) collection
- Electronic waste (E-Waste) requiring special disposal that is not accepted with the weekly collection can be collected curbside by purchasing E-Waste stickers available at Jewel and Village Hall. More information can be found in the E-Waste section below.
Holiday collection service will be provided one day later than the normal schedule, on the holidays listed below.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Collection Basics & Cart Information
Garbage Carts & Collection
Collection Day & Time
Wednesday is collection day in Elburn. Please have all items and materials placed out for collection by 6:45AM to ensure collection. Collection begins at 7AM and collection times may vary from week to week.
Basic Services With LRS
Basic service includes unlimited weekly collection of properly prepared (containerized/bagged) garbage, recycling and yard-waste materials. Residents are provided a 95-gallon garbage cart, by default, unless a different cart size is selected. All residents have the option to choose a 35, 65 or 95-gallon garbage cart. Exchange fees do not apply for new residents. See Cart Selection Information if you’d like a different size.
Resident Owned Containers
Residents may use a non-LRS cart or container for waste or recycling materials that do not fit into the LRS issued cart so long as it does not exceed 35 gallons, 50 lbs. and has two handles.
Yard waste or landscape waste bags must be biodegradable and not exceed 50 pounds when full.
Please note: garbage mixed with yard waste, leaves or organic material will not be collected, as this material is not permitted in State of Illinois Landfills.
Large or Bulk Items
LRS will collect one large item that does not fit into the container. Examples of large or bulk items include (but not limited to):
- General household furniture such as a chair or table
- Large children’s toy
- Box spring
- Up to 8 tied and bundled carpet rolls not longer than 4’ in length, and 18” in diameter
- Additional bulk items may be collected for $25 per item, paid in advance.
- Household fixtures are considered construction debris, such as a door, window or toilet.
- Appliances are not considered a large or bulk item and require a special collection
- Items being collected should not exceed a manageable weight (one or two individuals to manage)
Home Remodeling Debris
Home remodeling debris that fits into an approved refuse (garbage) container will be collected so long as it does not exceed approved refuse (garbage) container dimensions or exceed 50 lbs when full.
Home remodeling waste that does not fit into the approved container will generally require a special collection. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided and items will be charged by the yard.
Christmas trees (not artificial) will be collected during the first full two weeks of January on collection day. There is no charge for this service.
Electronic Waste (E-waste) Collection. Beginning in January 2019 on the second Wednesday, the first month of every quarter, LRS will begin collecting E-Waste from the curb. E-Waste is the ONLY service requiring a sticker or stickers for items placed to the curb.
LRS E-Waste curbside collection is a sticker-based program. The ORANGE E-Waste sticker is available at Jewel and Village Hall in Elburn. The cost for handling E-Waste varies depending on the item.
E-Waste items that are banned from the landfill and may not go into the regular garbage includes the following items: computer mice, computer monitors, computers, digital converter boxes, digital video disc players, digital video disc recorders, fax machines, keyboards, portable digital music players, printers, satellite receivers, scanners, small scale servers, televisions, video game consoles, and videocassette recorders.
E-Waste Sticker Cost Per Sticker
|Effective 10/1/2019||Effective 10/1/2020||Effective 10/1/21||Effective 10/1/2022|
Schedule a Collection for Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
2022 E-Waste Collection Dates
- January 12
- April 13
- July 13
- October 12
Placement & Sticker’s Required
Please place E-Waste separate from regular garbage, recycling or yard waste. Smaller E-Waste items should be placed inside a clear plastic bag, paper grocery bag or small cardboard box, clearly marked as “E-WASTE.”
TVs and monitors should be placed on the opposite side of the driveway or at least 5 feet away from regular garbage, recycling or yard waste, and/or carts.
E-Waste Required Stickers/Item(s):
- One = 1 small E-Waste item (such as a computer mouse, excludes TV’s and Monitors).
- Five = E-Waste Stickers = One bundle in brown paper bag/box not exceeding 24” x 24” x 24” or larger item such as keyboard, video cassette recorder or small digital disc player, printer
- Ten = TV or Computer Monitor
- Cable Receivers
- Cellular Phones
- Computers (desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet)
- Digital Converter Boxes
- Digital Video Disc Players
- Digital Video Disc Recorders
- Electronic Keyboards
- Electronic Mice
- Facsimile Machines
- Portable Digital Music Players
- Satellite Receivers
- Small Scale Servers
- TV’s and Monitors
- Videocassette Recorders
- Video Game Consoles
Recycling Carts & Co-Mingled Collection
LRS will collect an unlimited quantity of properly prepared and containerized acceptable recycled materials every week. Recycling needs to be properly prepared in accordance with the recycling guideline. All food-based recyclable containers should be rinsed. Plastic bags are not recyclable, and should not be placed in recycling carts. Click here for an LRS Recycle Guide.
For information on what to do with items in the area that are not accepted with the curbside recycling program visit the Kane County Recycles page.
LRS Recycle Cart
LRS provides Elburn residents with a 65 gallon wheeled, recycle cart with a flip top lid, unless a different size is selected. Residents who would like to exchange their existing cart for a different size may choose from 35, 65 and 95 gallon. A cart exchange fee of $15 applies per cart.
Residents who generate more recyclables, may request one (1) additional 95 gallon recycle cart at no charge. A $15.00 delivery fee will apply.
Resident Owned Containers
Residents may use a non-LRS cart or container for waste or recycling materials that do not fit into the LRS issued cart, so long as it does not exceed 35 gallons, 50 lbs. and has two handles.
Yard Waste Collection
Every year and beginning April 1st through November 30st, LRS will collect an unlimited quantity of properly prepared and containerized acceptable yard waste materials every week. Yard waste needs to be properly prepared in accordance with the yard waste guidelines as described in this section.
Acceptable Yard Waste
Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, branches and brush and other yard and garden trimmings, vines, garden plants and flowers, weeds, tree droppings (pine cones and crabapples) and other similar organic waste materials accumulated as a result of the cultivation and maintenance of lawns, shrubbery, vines, trees and gardens.
Organic Food Scrap may be mixed in with yard waste during the yard waste season.
Organic Food Scrap includes: bread, cereal, coffee grounds, dairy, egg shells, eggs, fruits, grain, pasta, shells, and vegetables.
Unacceptable materials include sod, dirt, Christmas trees and wreath greenery/garland is not considered yard waste.
Yard Waste Can be Set Out For Collection as Follows:
- Use a 2 ply (or thicker), biodegradable yard waste/landscape paper bags not to exceed 50 lbs
- Container not exceeding 35 gallons, marked with large “X” or “YW” or “YARD WASTE”
- Brush bundles tied in biodegradable twine not exceeding 4’ length, 2’ width and 50 lbs
- 65-gallon LRS yard waste carts – Available for $3.00 per month
- 95-gallon LRS yard waste carts – Available for $5.00 per month
Paperless E-mail Invoice Option
Residents may opt to receive paperless invoicing by registering online. Click here to register for paperless invoicing.
Auto Payment Options
LRS offers an automatic payment option for residents who choose to establish this method of payment. Once you receive an invoice from LRS, you may choose this option. If you would like to elect for auto pay, you may do so by going to Payments@LRSrecycles.com. You will be asked to create a user name and password.
The mailing address for payments is:
PO BOX 554892
DETROIT, MI 48255-4892