Plato Township Residential Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection Program
LRS provides Plato Township with residential services for garbage, recycling, and yard waste. LRS offers many other services for Plato Township residents including an annual electronic waste event, portable restrooms, and large open top construction style containers.
For more information on the required scheduling collection for specific items or material types, please click on one of the tabs below.
- Service includes one (1) 96-gallon cart with wheels and a flip-top lid.
- Smaller, 64 and 35-gallon carts are available upon request to Customer Service.
- LRS provides each home with unlimited collection of garbage.
- There is no limit to the amount of garbage LRS will collect (so long as it is properly contained).
- Contact Customer Service by calling 844.633.3577 to submit a request for a smaller size cart or to rent an additional cart.
- Items that do not fit inside the LRS cart are to be placed in personal containers or bags.
- Garbage collection is provided once a week on same day as recycling and (seasonal) yard waste service.
- Service time of day will vary. Have all materials placed out curbside for collection by 6AM.
Non-LRS Resident Owned Containers
Garbage, receptacles, containers, boxes, plastic bags and individual item guide:
- Non-LRS containers must have two handles or a grip
- Garbage must be contained and fit inside the container when full
- Non-LRS containers may not exceed 33-gallons
- Loose garbage bags may not exceed 33-gallons and must be securely tied
- Bags and containers may not exceed 50lbs when full
- Service includes one (1) 64-gallon cart with wheels and a flip-top lid.
- Smaller 35-gallon carts are available upon request to Customer Service.
- There is no limit to the amount of recyclable materials LRS will collect each week.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day as garbage and yard waste (in season).
- Use the LRS cart for recyclable materials.
- For any extra recyclables placed out for collection, mark as RECYCLE so driver can clearly see it.
- Plastic bags and film will NOT be collected in the recycle cart.
- Additional recycling carts are available for a small monthly fee, billed directly by LRS.
- Remove metal rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows are accepted
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer printouts, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders, and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are ok to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles: water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs: milk and juice
- Jars: mayo, peanut butter
UNACCEPTED MATERIALS – DO NOT PUT INTO RECYCLE
Paper Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Fluorescent paper
- Frozen food box
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Food contaminated pizza boxes
- Shredded paper
- Used tissue
- Used paper plates
Steel/Tin Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Propane tanks
- Wire hangers
- Small appliances
Glass/Ceramic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Auto or car window glass
- Coffee pot
- Drinking glasses
- Light bulbs
Plastic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Candy wrapper
- Cereal bags
- Empty chemical bottle or jug
- Empty motor oil bottle or jug
- Empty pesticide bottle or jug
- Film or wrap
- Freezer bags
- Grocery bags
- Potato chip bags
- Sandwich bags
- Snack bag
Please contact LRS customer service if you have any questions on how to dispose of any of the non-accepted recyclable materials.
LRS offers a seasonal subscription yard waste collection program in Plato Township. For residents who wish to participate in this program, enrollment and prepayment to LRS is required.
Yard waste season is April 1st through November 30th of each year. LRS will collect yard waste material EVERY OTHER WEEK on the same day as garbage and recycling. All items must be placed out for collection by 6AM. Please see the Plato Township 2023 Yard Waste Schedule below to find out which weeks will include yard waste collection.
What is Considered Yard Waste?
Yard waste, also known as landscape waste, consists of organic waste materials accumulated from cultivation and maintenance of gardens, lawns, shrubbery, trees and vines.
Approved Yard Waste Containers and Bags
Up to (10) ten 2-ply biodegradable yard waste bags placed out for collection on the service day.
Personal cans/containers labeled YARD WASTE and weighing less than 50lbs when full.
Brush and branches must be bundled and tied with biodegradable twine or string (no metal). Each bundle must be no longer than 4’ in length, 2’ in diameter, weighing no more than 50lbs.
Individual branches should be no greater than 2” in diameter.
Christmas trees are collected for no charge during the month of January. Trees must be free of tinsel, lights and ornaments and can be placed where you receive normal collection by 6AM on the service day.
“Bulk items” are items that are too large to fit into an LRS cart or container. LRS will collect one bulk item per week at no charge. Any additional items requested to be serviced on the same day must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS. If a bulk item is deemed hazardous or unacceptable for landfills, that item will not be taken.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS garbage cart includes the following: bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of a sectional couch, mattress, frame or wall picture. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered bulk items.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses must be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found online or at local grocery stores, hardware stores, and storage/moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Bulk items requiring special equipment and additional labor, such as a piano, sleeper sofa (couch with pull out bed) and large entertainment center are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Call LRS if you are unsure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by email to Service@LRSrecycles.com
“White Goods” are appliances that contain CFC, HCFC, PCBs, mercury switches or other hazardous components. LRS will collect one “white good” or appliance per week in lieu of a bulk item. Any additional items requested to be serviced on the same day must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS.
Examples of Appliances and White Goods
Air Conditioner | Clothes Dryer | Cook Top & Cooking Plate | Cooker or Bakers Oven | Dishwasher | Drying Cabinet | Freezer | Kitchen Stove or Oven Range | Microwave Oven | Refrigerator or Refrigeration Equipment | Washing Machine | Water Heater
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) are items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go into the regular garbage).
LRS provides annual home collection of E-Waste for Plato Township residents. This service provides a more convenient and simple way to responsibly manage electronics that are banned from the landfill. There is no charge for this service, though there is a limit of (7) seven total items. Of the 7 total items, no more than (2) two TV’s or monitors will be accepted.
The 2023 E-Waste collection will take place on June 27th.
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers | Wi-Fi-Routers
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill and will not be collected with curbside collection. LRS encourages residents to take advantage of the drop-off facilities and additional options provided by Kane County.
Please contact Kane County Recycles at 630.208.3837 or visit Pages – Kane County Recycles – Home Page (countyofkane.org) for assistance with disposal of any hazardous material(s).
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Houshold Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
If you are unsure of any items that may require service, contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are a Special Refuse Collection. LRS provides special pick-ups or special collections for large amounts of garbage from a move-out or a flooded basement or large clean outs. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, concrete, or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
Residents also have the option of ordering a construction style, open top (roll-off) dumpster from LRS. Click Here to learn more about having an open top dumpster delivered.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways LRS can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
- LRS bills quarterly in advance
- Invoices will be billed to the Property Owner
- Invoices will be mailed to the service address unless another address is provided
- E-mail billing and auto-pay options are available
- Residents will be able to create an online account once they have an open LRS invoice
- Instructions on how to enroll in auto pay and create and online account can be found below
- Mail payments to:
PO BOX 4700
CAROL STREAM IL 60197-4700
For more information, questions and to arrange for services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. at 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Improperly prepared materials placed for collection will not be collected.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
For more information and various drop-off locations available, please contact Kane County Recycles at 630.208.3837 or visit Pages – Kane County Recycles – Home Page (countyofkane.org)
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste, recycling, or landscape waste is not collected on the service day by 6 pm, please contact LRS by calling 844.633.3577 or e-mailing Service@lrsrecycles.com
Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.