City Of Hickory Hills Residential Waste Collection Program
The City of Hickory Hills has chosen Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) to be the exclusive service provider for the weekly collection of residential garbage, recyclables, and yard waste as well as home collection for household hazardous and electronic waste.
Detailed program information may be found on this page by clicking on the topic below or links to the right (facing) of this page. You may also print the LRS Hickory Hills Program Brochure by clicking here.
HICKORY HILLS – LRS CUSTOMER SERVICE
LRS has a dedicated team of customer service representatives ready to assist you. The City of Hickory Hills is no longer accepting calls for waste program and transition service-related issues as the LRS team is best equipped to help.
Please call LRS at (844) 633-3577 or email SERVICE@LRSRECYCLES.COM for assistance with;
- Question regarding transition of service
- Cart delivery or removal request
- Question on new collection day
- Question on service time of day
- Help with missed pick-up
- Schedule appliance or special pick-up
- Schedule household hazardous or electronic waste pick-up (click on link to right)
- Comment on service
- Recycling questions (scroll down to Recycle section for more information)
- Plastic grocery bags & film are no longer accepted in recycle cart
LRS Customer Service
Please contact LRS Customer Service for all garbage, recyclable and yard waste questions, cart exchanges, misses and extra pick-ups, household hazardous waste and electronic waste service needs.
Hickory Hills Brochure
- LRS provides each home with unlimited collection of garbage and a 96-gallon cart on wheels with a flip-top lid.
- Contact LRS Customer Service to submit a request for a smaller, 64-gallon cart or rent an additional cart for garbage for $3.00 per month.
- Garbage collection is provided once a week on the same day as recycling and (seasonal) yard waste service.
- Service time of day will vary. Have all materials out for collection by 6AM.
- There is no limit to the amount of garbage LRS will collect (so long as it is properly contained).
- Recyclables are collected the same day as garbage and yard waste
- There is no limit to the amount of recycle materials LRS will collect each week
- Use LRS carts for recycle materials
- For extra recyclables mark as RECYCLE so driver can clearly see it
- Plastic bags and film will not be collected in the recycle cart
- Additional 96-gallon recycle carts are available for $3.00 per month billed by LRS;
- See Cart Portal to select additional cart or contact LRS customer service
- Remove metal rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows are accepted
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer printouts, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders, and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are ok to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles: water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs: milk and juice
- Jars: mayo, peanut butter
UNACCEPTED MATERIALS – DO NOT PUT INTO RECYCLE
Paper Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Fluorescent paper
- Frozen food box
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Food contaminated pizza boxes
- Shredded paper
- Used tissue
- Used paper plates
Steel/Tin Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Propane tanks
- Wire hangers
- Small appliances
Glass/Ceramic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Auto or car window glass
- Coffee pot
- Drinking glasses
- Light bulbs
Plastic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Candy wrapper
- Cereal bags
- Empty chemical bottle or jug
- Empty motor oil bottle or jug
- Empty pesticide bottle or jug
- Film or wrap
- Freezer bags
- Grocery bags
- Potato chip bags
- Sandwich bags
- Snack bag
Please contact LRS customer service if you have any questions on how to dispose of any of the non-accepted recyclable materials.
Yard waste season is April 1st through November 30th of each year. LRS will collect yard waste material on the same day as garbage and recycle. All items must be placed out for collection by 6AM.
What is Considered Ward Waste?
Yard waste, also known as landscape waste, consists of organic waste materials accumulated from cultivation and maintenance of gardens, lawns, shrubbery, trees and vines.
Approved Yard Waste Containers or Bags
- 2-ply yard waste bags 33-gallons or less and weigh no more than 50 pounds
- Non-LRS container guidelines:
- 33-gallons or less and weigh no more than 50 pounds
- Labeled with a YARDWASTE ONLY sticker available at City Hall
- Brush bundles must be tied together with biodegradable twine and not exceed more than 4 feet in length, 2 feet in diameter and less than 50 pounds per bundle
LRS Yard Waste Cart Rental
Yards waste carts are available to rent in 64-gallon size for $3.00 a cart, per month, billed through LRS. Contact LRS customer service or submit a request in the top right-hand section of this page.
LRS will collect live Christmas Trees for no charge. Trees must be free of tinsel, lights and ornaments. Trees can be placed where you receive normal collection by 6 AM on the service day.
“Bulk Items” are items that are too large to fit into an LRS cart or container. LRS will collect one bulk item per week at no charge. If a bulk item is deemed hazardous or unacceptable for landfills, that item will not be taken.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS garbage cart, includes the following: bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of sectional couch, mattress, frame, or wall picture. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered bulk items.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses must be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found online or at local grocery stores, hardware stores, storage and moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Bulk items requiring special equipment and additional labor, such as a piano, sleeper sofa (couch with pull out bed) and large entertainment center are considered a Special Refuse Collection.
Call LRS if you are unsure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by e-mail to Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Some appliances require special handling as they may contain harmful chemicals, or they need to be recycled at a special location.
Examples of Appliances or White Goods:
Air Conditioner | Clothes Dryer | Cook Top and Cooking Plate | Cooker or Bakers Oven | Dishwasher | Drying Cabinet | Freezer | Kitchen Stove or Oven Range | Microwave Oven | Refrigerator or Refrigeration Equipment | Washing Machine | Water Heater
Scheduling Removal of Appliances & White Goods
All appliances/white goods must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS by calling customer service.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) are items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go into the regular garbage).
LRS provides monthly Home Collection of E-Waste for Hickory Hills households that have LRS waste and recycling collection. This service provides a more convenient and simple way to responsibly manage electronics that are banned from the landfill. There is no charge for this service. A request must be submitted by the deadline to ensure collection.
Submitting an E-Waste Request
Please look at the top right-hand section of this webpage for our “Schedule E-Waste Pickup” button to schedule a pickup. Once your request is submitted, you will automatically receive a reply it was successfully sent over and in the following 72 business hours, you will receive confirmation including the scheduled date. You can also contact customer service at 844.633.3577 to submit a request.
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers
LRS offers City of Hickory Hills homes a monthly Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Home Collection. Residents who live in an incorporated City of Hickory Hills home, currently receiving LRS residential cart services, are eligible to participate.
When does collection take place?
Collections are available monthly. Collection dates are scheduled directly with each resident after submitting a request.
How do I submit a request?
LRS has a simple process to submit a request using the LRS Household Hazardous Waste Request Web Portal. The online request form provides a list of items to select from, clear instructions and information regarding the collection.
Please refer to the top right-hand section of this webpage for our Household Hazardous Waste button to schedule. You can also submit a request via phone call to LRS.
After your request is received and scheduled you will receive an email or phone call with the scheduled date and more information shortly after submission. A kit will be mailed containing clear, thick, plastic bags. Residents also receive a reminder of what is and is not acceptable along with a collection date confirmation.
Examples of HHW:
- OIL BASED PAINTS, FLAMMABLE OILS
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil Based Stain, Varnish, Latex paint
- PESTICIDES / HERBICIDES / FERTILIZERS
- Poison, lawn chemicals, weed killer
- Spray-paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- AUTOMOTIVE CHEMICALS / FLUIDS
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- HOUSHOLD CLEANERS (ACIDIC/CAUSTIC)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- BULBS / BATTERIES
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
Contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for items you are unsure of. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste that includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, carpeting or padding, concrete or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
Residents also have the option of ordering a construction style, open top (roll-off) dumpster from LRS. Click Here to learn more about having an open top dumpster delivered.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways Lakeshore can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Residents are billed for garbage collection through the City. Please contact the City at (708) 598-4800 with any questions or refer to their webpage: https://hickoryhillsil.org/
Residents who chose to rent additional garbage, recycling or yard waste carts will be directly invoiced through LRS. For questions about additional cart rental invoices, please contact LRS.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart. Fees may apply outside of the implementation period.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste, recycling, or yard waste is not collected on the service day by 6 pm, please contact LRS by calling 844.633.3577 or e-mailing email@example.com
Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.