Willow Springs Residential Refuse, Recycling and Yard-Waste Collection Program
LRS provides Willow Springs residents with services for refuse (garbage), recycling and yard waste. LRS offers many other services for Willow Springs residents including electronic waste service, organic food scrap compost service, portable restrooms and large, open top construction style containers. We are proud to be a partner in your community!
For more information on the required scheduling collection for specific items or material types, please click on one of the tabs below.
Monday | South of the Des Plaines River
Tuesday | North of the Des Plaines River
All garbage, recycling and yard waste will be collected between the times of 6AM and 6PM on your collection day. Service times are subject to change. Please reference collection schedule for service day.
There is no limit to the amount of garbage bags we will collect either placed loose next to your LRS cart or in 35 gallon or smaller personal containers with two handles and a lid- all 50 lbs or less in weight per bag or can full. Garbage must be inside of the can with the lid closed.
Please note: garbage mixed with yard waste, leaves or organic material will not be collected, as this material is not permitted in State of Illinois Landfill
LRS provides carts in the 95-gallon sizes to residents. If you would like to inquire about swapping your cart, please email Service@LRSRecycles.com or call 844.633.3577 and any of our service representatives would be happy to assist.
For residents that generate more garbage, you may request an additional garbage cart for a small monthly fee. Please contact customer service to do so.
LRS provides one cart for recycling at no charge for each household. Carts are available in the 65-gallon size. Additional carts are available upon request directly to the village. Contact LRS Customer Service for more information or with questions on recycling.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day of the week as the garbage and yard waste
- You are to use the LRS issued cart first for recycled materials
- Please MARK the additional box or container used as RECYCLE so the driver can clearly see it
- Plastic bags with recycling material cannot be accepted
- There is no limit to the amount of acceptable recycled items that can be placed out for collection
- LRS suggests using a cardboard box as a makeshift bin and placing all broken down materials inside
- You may contact customer service for additional cart needs
- Remove metal cops and rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows are accepted
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer printouts, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders, and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are ok to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles include: water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs include: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs include: milk and juice
- Jars include: mayo, peanut butter
Unaccepted Recyclables – Do not place in recycle cart
Paper Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Fluorescent paper
- Frozen food box
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Pizza boxes
- Shredded paper
- Used paper plates
Steel/Tin Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Propane tanks
- Wire hangers
- Small appliances
Glass/Ceramic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Auto or car window glass
- Coffee pot
- Drinking glasses
- Light bulbs
Plastic Materials: DO NOT PLACE IN RECYCLE CART
- Candy wrapper
- Cereal bags
- Empty chemical bottle or jug
- Empty motor oil bottle or jug
- Empty pesticide bottle or jug
- Film or wrap
- Freezer bags
- Grocery bags
- Potato chip bags
- Sandwich bags
- Snack bag
Please contact LRS customer service if you have any questions on how to dispose of any of the non-accepted recyclable materials.
Village of Willow Springs residents may choose between two options to dispose of yard waste. The subscription program includes an LRS cart. You can elect to use Village of Willow Springs Yard Waste sticker on an approved personal container or yard waste bundle. Please read below for more information on accepted materials and the two programs offered.
Yard Waste Season
Yard waste collection takes place on a seasonal basis, starting April 1st, and ending on the last Tuesday in December each year.
What is considered yard waste?
Yard waste, also known as landscape waste, consists of organic waste materials accumulated as the result of cultivation and maintenance of gardens, lawns, shrubbery, trees and vines.
Yard Waste Subscription Program
Yard waste carts are available in 95-gallon cart size with subscription rates. Residents who use the LRS carts for yard waste and organics do not need to purchase stickers for the materials placed inside the carts. Yard waste placed outside of the LRS yard waste cart requires one sticker for each container/bag. Subscription yard waste is billed in advance for the season and prepayment is required.
Yard waste subscription annual rate
- 95-gallon cart = $109.20/year
Yard Waste Sticker Program
The Village of Willow Springs, Yard Waste Sticker is yellow and used for Yard waste containers, biodegradable landscape (yard waste) bag, or tied and secured bundles of brush. Each bag, container or pile requires one sticker.
Willow Springs Yard Waste Sticker
Refuse Sticker Rate: $3.40 each
Stickers may be purchased at: 1 Village Circle, Willow Springs Il 60480
- Metal/plastic containers MARKED YW or YARD WASTE with 2 handles not exceeding 50 LBS/ 32 gallons
- Biodegradable paper landscape & yard waste bags, not to exceed 50 LBS or 32-gallon capacity
- LRS carts may be used for yard waste with subscription services
During the first two weeks of January, we will begin to gladly collect your non-artificial Christmas trees as organic material – free of any tinsel, ornaments or lights. Trees can be left loose (never in bags) in the area where you have regular service for trash and recycling. Due to snow and ice, trees may not always be picked up on your service day as our drivers and trucks will be in the village all month for pickups.
Bulk items (that do not fit into your refuse cart) are collected loose, on your regular day of service. If an item exceeds 50lbs, residents may need to call LRS to schedule a special pickup. If a “bulk” item is considered hazardous, unacceptable for landfills or deemed unacceptable to take as garbage, the item(s) will not be taken.
Mattresses and box/bed springs are required to be in a plastic mattress cover and taped securely shut. Plastic mattress covers may be purchased at retail outlets such as Walmart, Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and storage unit facilities. Packaging wrap or trash bags cut up and taped around to cover a mattress or box spring are also acceptable options.
Please call LRS to see if such items can be scheduled for a special pickup.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go into the regular garbage).
LRS provides monthly home collection of electronic waste (E-Waste) for Willow Springs households that have LRS waste and recycling collection. This service provides a more convenient and simple way to responsibly manage electronics that are banned from the landfill. There is no charge for this service. A request by the deadline must be submitted to ensure collection.
Submitting an E-Waste Request
Please look at the top right-hand section of this webpage for our “Schedule E-Waste Pickup” button to schedule a pickup. Once your request is submitted, you will automatically receive a reply it was successfully sent over and in the following 72 business hours, you will receive confirmation including the scheduled date. You can also contact customer service at 844.633.3577 to submit a request.
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill and will not be collected with curbside collection. LRS encourages residents to take advantage of the drop-off facilities and additional options provided by Swancc.
Please contact Swancc at 847.724.9205 or visit SWANCC – Chemical and Paint Disposal for assistance with disposal of any hazardous material(s).
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Houshold Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
“White Goods” are appliances that contain CFC, HCFC, PCBs, mercury switches or other hazardous components (refrigerators, air conditioners, humidifiers etc). These items will be taken but will need to be free of the above referenced material and required to be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS customer service.
Contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for items you are unsure of. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, concrete, or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways Lakeshore can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Residents are billed for refuse services through the Village. Please reach out to the Village at 708.467.3700 with any questions.
For more information, questions and to arrange for services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. or Saturday 7a.m. – Noon at 844-633-3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com.
IMPROPERLY PREPARED MATERIALS placed for collection will not be collected. LRS will place a tag noting the reason items were left behind.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste, recycling, or yard waste services are not collected on the service day by 6 pm, please contact LRS by either calling 844.633.3577 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.