28 Mar Top 5 Benefits of Mulch
When the ground thaws and the sun consistently returns, it’s somewhat of a rite of passage in the Midwest for home and business owners to get outside and spruce up their yards and/or landscaping. And one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways this can be accomplished is by laying down some fresh new mulch in flower beds, around trees and other areas of the property that are designated landscaping areas. But mulch doesn’t just help a yard look great – it also offers a variety of benefits that you might not be aware of. Here’s a look at five of these key benefits:
Top 5 Benefits of Mulch
- It Helps Control Weeds: When it comes to garden chores, there may be none worse than regular weeding. But in order to keep garden areas and landscaping looking nice, it’s something that has to be done. Mulch can help inhibit weed growth. How? Because it acts as a barrier between the soil and the sun. And without adequate sunlight, weeds can’t grow.
- It Helps the Ground Retain Moisture: Water is key to ensuring that plants like trees, bushes and flowers flourish. But regular watering can put a strain on your utilities bill in the spring, summer and fall months when outdoor watering is more prominent. We’re not going to tell you that mulch is going to provide a huge savings for your water bill, but we will tell you that one characteristic of mulch is that it helps retain water and moisture, which thereby means you’ll likely water less without impacting the quality of the plants.
- It Helps Prevent Soil Erosion: Because mulch acts as a barrier between the soil, it can also help absorb the impact that rain water has when it falls from the sky. This, in turn, helps prevent soil erosion. Think of it this way: Mulch is kind of like a packaging material, only instead of protecting a product or item from breakage, it protects the soil from erosion.
- It’s Sustainable: Not all mulch is sustainable, but at Lakeshore Recycling Systems, ours is. That’s because all of the mulch that we supply is made from recycled wood products that would otherwise have been discarded and destined for a landfill. Our mulch is truly a win-win proposition – it helps make your yard or property look great and doesn’t have any sort of negative impact on the environment. We call our mulch “Go Green Mulch.”
- It Keeps Out Pests and Invites In Worms: Certain types of mulch can actually prevent pests from setting up shop in your landscaping. What’s more is while bad pests and insects can be better prevented, mulch also encourages residency of helpful insects – worms. Worms help to enhance the soil structure and are a tell-tale sign of healthy soil.
Who knew mulch could be so helpful, beyond just looking good? For more information on the benefits of mulch, and to learn more about Lakeshore Recycling Systems Inc recycled mulch Chicago product, contact us today.