City of Waukegan Waste, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection Program
Effective December 1st, 2023, LRS will provide garbage, recycling, yard waste and fall leaf vacuuming services for City of Waukegan residents. LRS is a privately-owned company headquartered in Rosemont, Illinois with locations throughout Illinois and the Midwest. We are proud to be a partner in your community!
Detailed program information may be found on this page by clicking on the topic below or links to the right (facing) of this page.
LRS offers many other services for Waukegan residents including electronic waste drop-offs, portable restrooms and large, open top construction style containers. Click on tab(s) below to learn more.
LRS – New Cart Delivery
- LRS will have special crews delivering carts starting on Monday November 6th 2023
- Carts may arrive on different days or at different times
- You may notice neighbors receiving carts at different times, please note carts are delivered based on sizes and material type
- All carts will be delivered curbside
- All residents will have a trash and recycling cart by the start of service 12/1/2023
- If you do not have a trash and recycling cart by 11/21, please contact LRS customer service
WM Cart Removal
- You may have multiple carts, LRS and WM, on site for a short period of time, no longer than a week
- CONTINUE TO USE WM CARTS UNTIL THEY ARE REMOVED
- WM carts will only be removed on your service day
- You MUST leave the WM curbside until removed – do not bring WM carts in after they are emptied
LRS CUSTOMER SERVICE
Please contact LRS Customer Service for all garbage, recyclable and yard waste questions, cart exchanges, misses, extra pick-ups and any general service inquiries.
You can also submit a support request in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
LRS and City of Waukegan Brochure
Your service day will be the same as it was with the previous hauler. All garbage will be collected starting at 6AM on the service day, garbage is collected weekly. Service times are subject to change. LRS provides service for the City between 6am and 7pm on the service day. LRS provides wheeled carts with a flip-top lid and handlebar to throw your garbage in. All garbage carts are 95-gallon in size. Smaller carts and additional garbage carts are available to rent by contacting the LRS customer service or by submitting a request in the righthand section of this page.
Garbage collection is limited. Residents are to use the LRS cart first for any garbage. Any garbage outside of the cart requires one waste sticker per bag or container. Please see below for more information on stickers.
Refuse sticker must be visible to drivers. Waste stickers are $2.95 each, and may be purchased at participating local businesses.
For residents who cannot bring their trash down to the curb weekly due to sickness or disability, please contact the City to request or discontinue this service.
LRS provides one cart for recycling at no charge for each household. Carts are available in the 65 or 95-gallon size (standard recycling cart given to each home will be the 65-gallon if no other selection is made). Additional rental carts are available upon request to LRS customer service. Contact LRS Customer Service for more information or with questions on recycling.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day of the week as the garbage and yard waste
- Each home will automatically receive a 65-gallon cart for recyclables
- You are to use the LRS issued cart first for recycled materials
- Please MARK the additional box or container used as RECYCLE so the driver can clearly see it
- Plastic bags with recycling material will not be accepted
- There is no limit to the amount of acceptable recyclable items that can be placed out for collection, provided they are properly prepared and contained
- LRS suggests using a cardboard box as a makeshift bin and placing all broken down materials in the ‘bin’ if needed
- Additional rental recycling bins are available upon request to LRS in the larger size
- Remove metal caps and rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows can be accepted
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer print outs, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are fine to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles include: Water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs include: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs include: milk and juice
- Jars include: mayo, peanut butter
Yard waste is collected seasonally beginning on March 15th through December 15th on the same service day as your garbage and recycling. Yard waste will only be collected from the curbside and must be placed out by 6 AM on the collection day. Residents can use stickers or enroll in the subscription program. Please read below for guidelines.
What is Considered Yard Waste?
Yard waste, also known as landscape waste, consists of organic waste materials accumulated as the result of cultivation and maintenance of gardens, lawns, shrubbery, trees, and vines.
Unacceptable materials include sod, dirt, artificial Christmas trees, wreath greenery, garland and food scraps (not considered yard waste).
Subscription Yard Waste Services
The subscription yard waste program is an annual fee charged by LRS. Residents on this program may place up to 6 metal or plastic containers or biodegradable paper Kraft bags. Each bag or container may not exceed 33 gallons and 50lbs when full. Bundles may also be placed out not exceeding 4 feet in length, 24 inches in diameter and 50lbs in weight. If there are more than 6 bags, containers or bundles, one (1) waste sticker must be affixed for every additional bag/bundle/container.
Sticker Yard Waste Services
Residents may place out plastic containers, metal containers, or biodegradable kraft bags. Each container/bag placed out for collection must have one sticker attached. Containers and bags may not exceed 33 gallons and 50lbs when full. Bundles may also be placed out not exceeding 4 feet in length, 24 inches in diameter and 50lbs in weight. One sticker is required per bundle.
LRS will provide an annual special collection of Christmas trees at no charge starting on your first day of service after Christmas through January 25th.
- The tree must be real, not artificial, not in any plastic bags and free of tinsel, lights, ornaments and not frozen to the ground.
- Trees must be placed curbside
- Flocked trees, trees with shiners, tinsel, light bulbs, glitter, wire, or plastic or in plastic bags will not be included in this special collection
- Due to snow and ice, trees may not always be picked up on your service day as our drivers and trucks will be in the village all month for pickups
Beginning the last week of October through the first week of December LRS will provide fall leaf vacuuming. Residents must rake loose leaves to the edge of the tree bank/curbside (not in the street) for collection. Not all leaves may be collected at the same time as LRS will be making multiple passes throughout the community. Please contact LRS customer service or visit the City webpage for a current leaf collection schedule.
The City of Waukegan LRS residential garbage and yard waste sticker can be used on additional loose bags or cans, yard waste/organics. Stickers are available to purchase at the same retailers as before.
Please be aware, LRS will not accept WM stickers at the start of service on December 1st 2023.
Please read each section to find out how many stickers are required for items placed out for collection.
If a single household item is too large to fit in a cart, then it is considered a bulk item. LRS will accept one bulk item each week! Please place the bulk item next to your trash cart on your regularly scheduled collection day.
If the item is heavier than 50 lbs., please contact LRS to schedule the collection with our customer experience team so they can provide adequate equipment to handle the item safely. Additional bulk items placed out on the same day will require prepayment and prescheduling.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS refuse (garbage) cart, includes the following: bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of sectional couch, mattress, frame, or wall picture. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered bulk items.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses should be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found online or at local grocery stores, hardware stores, storage and moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Please call LRS if you are unsure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by e-mail to Service@LRSrecycles.com
Some appliances require special handling as they may contain harmful chemicals, or they need to be recycled at a special location.
Examples of Appliances or White Goods:
Air Conditioner | Clothes Dryer | Cook Top and Cooking Plate | Cooker or Bakers Oven | Dishwasher | Drying Cabinet | Freezer | Kitchen Stove or Oven Range | Microwave Oven | Refrigerator or Refrigeration Equipment | Washing Machine | Water Heater
Scheduling Removal of Appliances & White Goods
All appliances/white goods must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS by calling customer service.
Please contact us at Service@LRSrecycles.com or call 844.633.3577 to schedule.
Electronic waste (E-Waste) are items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go in your normal trash). The items below are not included in your curbside collection and need to be taken to a secure drop-off locations in the City. To be determined.
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers
LRS will continue to provide community clean up. Please see the City website for your ward schedule each year.
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill and will not be collected with curbside collection. LRS encourages residents to take advantage of the drop-off facilities and additional options provided by Lake County. Please refer to the attached webpage for the most up to date information: Household Chemical Waste (HCW) | Lake County SWALCO, IL
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Household Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
Contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for items you are unsure of. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, concrete, or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways Lakeshore can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Residents are billed for refuse services through the City of Waukegan. LRS only bills for additional containers, special services and yard waste subscription. Please reach out to the City with any questions.
For more information, questions and to arrange for services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. at 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com
Improperly prepared materials placed for collection will not be collected.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste or recycling is not collected on the service day by 7pm, please contact LRS by calling 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.