Shields Township Residential Garbage, Recycling and Yard-Waste Collection Program
LRS provides Shields Township with residential services for garbage, recycling, and yard waste. LRS offers many other services for Shields Township residents including a fall leaf collection program, an annual electronic waste event, portable restrooms, and large open top construction style containers.
For more information on the required scheduling collection for specific items or material types, please click on one of the tabs below.
Wednesday is the service day in Shields Township. All garbage, recycling and yard waste should be curbside by 6AM on the collection day. Service times are subject to change.
- Service includes one (1) 95-gallon cart with wheels and a flip-top lid.
- Smaller, 65 and 35-gallon carts are available upon request to Customer Service.
- Contact Customer Service by calling 844.633.3577 to request a smaller size cart or rent an additional cart.
- Collection is limited to the LRS cart.
- For additional items that do not fit inside the LRS cart, one (1) sticker must be affixed to each personal container or bag placed out for collection.
- Garbage collection is provided once a week on the same day as recycling and (seasonal) yard waste service.
Non-LRS Resident Owned Containers
Garbage, receptacles, containers, boxes, plastic bags, and individual item guide:
- Non-LRS containers must have two handles or a grip
- Garbage must be contained and fit inside the container when full
- Non-LRS containers may not exceed 32-gallons
- Bags and containers may not exceed 50lbs when full
- Service includes one (1) 65-gallon cart with wheels and a flip-top lid.
- Smaller 35-gallon carts and larger 95-gallon carts are available upon request to Customer Service.
- Contact Customer Service by calling 844.633.3577 to request a different size cart or rent an additional cart.
- There is no limit to the amount of recyclable materials LRS will collect each week.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day as garbage and yard waste (in season).
- Use the LRS cart for recyclable materials.
- For any extra recyclables placed out for collection, mark as RECYCLE so the driver can clearly see it.
- Plastic bags and film will NOT be collected in the recycle cart.
Residents may choose between subscription or sticker-based yard waste programs. Organic food scraps may be mixed in with (subscription and sticker-based) yard waste during the yard waste season.
- Yard waste is collected seasonally beginning April 1 through November 30 on the same day as garbage and recyclables.
- There is no limit to the amount of yard waste that may be placed out for collection, provided it is properly prepared and paid for in accordance with the program option selected.
Yard Waste Sticker Program
- Requires one (1) service sticker for each properly prepared container, bag, or brush bundle.
Subscription Yard Waste Program
- Six (6) approved bags, bundles or personal containers are included in the weekly collection.
- Each extra bag, bundle, or personal container over the six (6) per week will require one (1) service sticker.
What is Considered Yard Waste?
Yard waste is garden trimmings, branches, and brush under two inches (2”) in diameter not exceeding 4’ in length, leaves, flowers, tree droppings (crabapples and pinecones), garden plants, vines, weeds, grass clippings and yard trimmings.
What are considered acceptable food scraps?
Bread, cereal, coffee grounds, dairy, eggshells, eggs, fruits, grain, pasta, shells, vegetables
Approved yard waste containers and bags
- Up to (6) six 2-ply biodegradable yard waste bags or personal containers placed out for collection on the service day.
- Personal cans/containers may not exceed 32-gallons or 50lbs when full.
- Brush and branches must be bundled and tied with biodegradable twine or string (no metal). Each bundle must be no longer than 4’ in length, 2’ in diameter, weighing no more than 50lbs.
- Individual branches must be no larger than 2” in diameter, weighing no more than 50lbs.
Christmas trees are collected for no charge from January 2nd through January 25th. We will gladly collect your non-artificial Christmas trees as organic material – free of any tinsel, ornaments or lights. Trees can be left loose (never in bags) in the area where you receive regular service for trash and recycling. Due to snow and ice, trees may not always be picked up on your service day as our drivers and trucks will be in the township all month for pickups. If you require collection after January 25th, prepayment and prescheduling is required.
For the final six (6) weeks of the yard waste season, LRS will provide leaf collection services to Shields Township residents. Residents who elect to participate in the leaf collection program are allowed up to six (6) bags or bundles of branches at no charge. One (1) sticker is required for each additional bag or bundle placed out for collection.
“Bulk items” are items that are too large to fit into an LRS cart or container. LRS will collect one bulk item per week at no charge. Any additional items requested to be serviced on the same day must be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS. If a bulk item is deemed hazardous or unacceptable for landfills, that item will not be taken.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS garbage cart includes the following: bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of a sectional couch, mattress, frame, or wall picture. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered bulk items.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses must be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found online or at local grocery stores, hardware stores, and storage/moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Bulk items requiring special equipment and additional labor, such as a piano, sleeper sofa (couch with pull out bed) and large entertainment center are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Call LRS if you are unsure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by email to Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste or E-Scrap) is banned from the landfill (cannot go in the regular garbage).
LRS provides annual home collection of E-Waste for Shields Township residents that have LRS waste and recycling collection. This service provides a more convenient way to responsibly manage electronics that are banned from the landfill. There is no charge for this service, although prescheduling is required. Please use the portal on the top right-hand side of the page to enroll or contact LRS Customer Service at 844.633.3577 with any further inquiries.
ANNUAL E-WASTE COLLECTION WILL TAKE PLACE: TBD FOR 2023
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill and will not be collected with curbside collection.
Please contact the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County at 847.336.9340 or visit Lake County SWALCO, IL | Official Website for assistance with disposal of any hazardous material(s).
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Household Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
“White Goods” are appliances that contain CFC, HCFC, PCBs, mercury switches or other hazardous components (refrigerators, air conditioners, humidifiers etc). These items will be taken but will need to be free of the above referenced material and required to be prescheduled and prepaid to LRS customer service.
Examples of White Goods or Appliances
Air Conditioner | Clothes Dryer | Cook Top & Cooking Plate | Cooker or Bakers Oven | Dishwasher | Drying Cabinet | Freezer | Kitchen Stove or Oven Range | Microwave Oven | Refrigerator or Refrigeration Equipment | Washing Machine | Water Heater
Contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for any items you are unsure about. Please include your address and as much detail regarding the item(s) as possible. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are a Special Refuse Collection. LRS provides special pick-ups or special collections for large amounts of garbage from a move out, flooded basement or large clean out(s). Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Home remodeling waste includes, but is not limited to drywall, plywood, paneling, lumber, doors, windows, cabinets, porcelain fixtures, sod, fencing, concrete, or rocks will require special pickups. Residents will need to schedule service for these items and call to receive instructions on how to best prepare them for collection. Estimates will be provided, and items will be charged by the yard.
Residents also have the option of ordering a construction style, open top (roll-off) dumpster from LRS. Click Here to learn more about having an open top dumpster delivered.
LRS has expanded our temporary services division to create an easier customer experience. These temporary services include portable restroom rental and dumpster roll-offs of all sizes to contain your construction debris.
Contact us today to discover all the ways LRS can make your waste removal even easier, no matter the project.
- LRS bills quarterly in advance
- Invoices will be billed to the Property Owner
- Invoices will be mailed to the service address unless another address is provided
- E-mail billing and auto-pay options are available
- Residents will be able to create an online account once they have an open LRS invoice
- Instructions on how to enroll in auto pay and create and online account can be found here
- Mail payments to:
PO BOX 4700
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4700
New Years Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
For more information, questions and to arrange services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. at 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Improperly prepared materials placed for collection will not be collected.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste, recycling, or landscape waste is not collected on the service day by 6 pm, please contact LRS by calling 844.633.3577 or e-mailing Service@LRSrecycles.com.
Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.