Village of Lake Villa Waste, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection Program
Effective May 1st, 2024, LRS will provide garbage, recycling, yard waste and fall leaf collection services for Village of Villa residents. LRS is a privately-owned company headquartered in Rosemont, Illinois with locations throughout Illinois and the Midwest. We are proud to be a partner in your community!
Detailed program information may be found on this page by clicking on the topic below or links to the right (facing) of this page. Program brochures will be mailed to all residences prior to the start of service. LRS-Lake Villa Brochures can be found here for view/print. Extra copies will be made available at Village Hall. LRS offers many other services for Lake Villa residents including portable restrooms and large, open top construction style containers.
Click on tab(s) below to learn more.
Important Service Transition Information
The new service with LRS will start on May 1st 2023. However, LRS will start delivering waste carts in April 22nd. These carts will be placed curbside close to where your home will receive future services from LRS. Deliveries will take place April 22nd– April 30th. Different style carts are delivered at different times. You may place the LRS carts out for collection on your first service day with LRS. Service days throughout the community will remain the same throughout the month of May. Effective 6/1 all homes in the Village of Lake Villa will be switching to a Friday service day. The entire Village of Lake Villa’s first Friday service will be 6/7. Please note, service times are subject to change.
LRS has partnered with the Village to enhance the current collection and provide a cart for every resident. LRS will only provide collection for the LRS branded carts that are provided under this new program. The current hauler will continue to provide collection through April 30th.
NEW LRS CARTS BEING DELIVERED ALL THROUGHOUT THE END OF APRIL
Lake Villa homes will automatically be registered to receive the same size garbage that residents current have on site with WM and 65-gallon recycle cart.
LRS also offers different cart sizes and additional carts to rent. Scroll down to Cart Options to learn more.
- LRS crews will deliver new carts before WM removes their carts.
- LRS carts may arrive at various times on different days.
- You may have LRS & WM carts for several days.
- LRS does not schedule cart delivery days or times.
WHEN WILL WM CARTS BE REMOVED?
- WM carts will be removed April 24th – April 30th on the service day.
- Do not use old carts after WM empties them the last week of
- Leave old WM carts empty at curb after service to be removed.
- WM sends different crews to remove WM (not regular driver).
FINAL WASTE MANAGEMENT COLLECTION DAYS:
- WEDNESDAY SERVICE: APRIL 24TH
- FRIDAY SERVICE: APRIL 25TH
- MONDAY SERVICE: APRIL 29TH
- TUESDAY SERVICE: TUESDAY APRIL 30TH
WHAT IF WM DID NOT REMOVE THE OLD CART(S) AFTER MAY 1st?
Please contact WM after May 1, 2024 if your WM carts are still on site
WHEN TO START USING NEW LRS CARTS
- Start using new LRS carts once you have placed the WM carts out to be emptied by WM the last week of April.
- WM will NOT empty LRS carts with materials.
Requests for different cart sizes and additional rental carts must be selected by April 10th, 2024, to be delivered with the initial delivery in late April. Selections made after April 10th, will be delivered after the initial delivery is complete. LRS cannot guarantee delivery days or times with this type of delivery.
- Garbage and recycle carts are available in different size options than the standard.
- Cart requests are to be submitted online through the LRS Cart Portal
- LRS Cart Portal is at the top righthand section of this webpage
- Unwanted carts should be used in the interim but must be left curbside to be exchanged.
- Exchanges can take up to 2 weeks to complete
LRS CUSTOMER SERVICE
Please contact LRS Customer Service for all garbage, recyclable and yard waste questions, cart exchanges, misses, extra pick-ups and any general service inquiries.
You can also submit a support request in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
Service days throughout the community will remain the same throughout the month of May. Effective 6/1 all homes in the Village of Lake Villa will be switching to a Friday service day. The entire Village of Lake Villa’s first Friday service will be 6/7. Please note, service times are subject to change.
Until 6/1/2024 all service days will remain on the same WM service day you previously had.
- All items need to be placed at curb or alley by 7:00AM
- Contact LRS customer service for questions regarding collection day or time
Please refer to the schedule above for your designated service day. All garbage will be collected starting at 7AM on the service day, garbage is collected weekly. Service times are subject to change. LRS provides service for the Village between 7am and 7pm on the service day. LRS provides wheeled carts with a flip-top lid and handlebar to throw your garbage in. Additional LRS carts available upon request to LRS customer service.
Garbage collection is limited. Any bags of waste that do not fit inside your designated LRS container, require 1 sticker per bag. Stickers can be located at the same retailers as before. Scroll down for more information on cart size, sticker retailers and bulk item service.
Lake Villa Cart Size Options:
LRS provides one cart for recycling at no charge for each household. Additional rental carts are available upon request to LRS customer service. Contact LRS Customer Service for more information or with questions on recycling.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day of the week as the garbage and yard waste
- Each home will automatically receive a 65-gallon cart for recyclables
- You are to use the LRS issued cart first for recycled materials
- Please MARK the additional box or container used as RECYCLE so the driver can clearly see it
- Plastic bags with recycling material will not be accepted
- There is no limit to the amount of acceptable recyclable items that can be placed out for collection, provided they are properly prepared and contained
- LRS suggests using a cardboard box as a makeshift bin and placing all broken down materials in the ‘bin’ if needed
- Additional rental recycling bins are available upon request to LRS in the larger size
- Remove metal caps and rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples
- Envelopes with cellophane windows can be accepted
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer print outs, hanging file folders, pastel colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are fine to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles include: Water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs include: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs include: milk and juice
Jars include: mayo, peanut butter
- The Village of Villa LRS residential waste and yard waste sticker can be used on excess bags of trash and yard waste/organics programs. The stickers are available for purchase at the same retailers beginning in April.
- Sticker locations: Village Hall and Jewel In Round Lake.
- Please be aware, LRS will not accept WM stickers at the start of service on May 1st 2024
- Please read each section to find out how many stickers are required for items placed out for collection.
Yard waste and organic collection takes place on a seasonal basis, starting April 1st, through the second full week of December on the same day as garbage and recycling.
Yard Waste and Organics Collection
Yard-waste, also known as landscape waste, consists of organic waste materials accumulated as the result of cultivation and maintenance of gardens, lawns, shrubbery, trees and vines.
Baked goods | Bread | Cereal | Coffee Filters | Ground Coffee | Dairy | Eggs | Egg Shells | Fruit
Weeds | Plants | Peanut Shells | Tea Bags | Vegetables | Pasta Shells |
Villa Park Yard Waste Sticker
The Villa Park yard waste sticker is yellow and used for non-LRS personal owned containers, bags or bundles with yard waste. Each bag, bundle or container of yard waste requires one yellow sticker to service.
Yard Waste Sticker Rate: $3.00 each
Sticker may be purchased at:
- Village Hall – 20 Ardmore Ave
- Villa Park Ace – 46 S Villa Ave
- Jewel-Osco – 33 E St Charles Rd
- Lombard Ace Hardware – 837 West more-Meyers Rd
- Johnson’s Lighthouse Marathon – 1 W St Charles Rd
- Metal/plastic containers marked with a weatherproof YARD WASTE ONLY LABEL not exceeding 50 LBS/ 35 gallons
- Biodegradable paper landscape & yard waste bags, not to exceed 50 LBS or 35-gallon capacity
- Securely tied bundles with biodegradable string or twine – bundles not exceeding 4 feet in length, 35 LBS
- Unbundled brush will not be collected
- Properly prepared brush bundles must be tied with twine or compostable string
- Brush bundles may not exceed 4’ (feet) in length and 18” (inches) in diameter.
- Limbs over 4” inches in diameter will be accepted.
- Yard waste stickers are not required for properly prepared brush bundles
- Containerized brush requires a yard waste sticker
Christmas Trees are collected for no charge the last week of December through the 2nd full week of January. LRS will collect live trees for no charge. Trees must be free of tinsel, lights and ornaments. Trees can be placed where you receive normal collection.
SPECIAL FALL LEAF COLLECTION – NO CHARGE
- The Village of Villa Park offers leaf collection for 7 weeks of the year at no charge
- The Village of Villa Park sets the date range each year and posts on their webpage
- LRS will collect an unlimited amount of leaves
- Leaves must be containerized in landscape paper bags or containers under 35-gallons
- Non-containerized leaves are not collected
- Yard waste stickers are not required for properly containerized and bagged leaves
During the fall of each year LRS will provide fall leaf collection. This program includes will the Residents raking their leaves out to the ditch/curb line during the determined dates. Leaves will then be collected by LRS using a mechanical vacuum process. Dates for leaf vacuuming are to be determined and will be posted online once available.
If a single household item is too large to fit in a cart, then it is considered a bulk item. LRS will accept one bulk item each week! Please place the bulk item next to your trash cart on your regularly scheduled collection day.
If the item is heavier than 50 lbs., please contact LRS to schedule the collection with our customer experience team so they can provide adequate equipment to handle the item safely. Additional bulk items placed out on the same day will require prepayment and prescheduling.
Examples of a bulk or large item exceeding the capacity of the LRS refuse (garbage) cart, includes the following: bed frame, box spring (bed), bicycle, chair, love seat/sofa, one part of sectional couch, mattress, frame, or wall picture. These are only some examples as there are many items that may be considered bulk items.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses should be wrapped in plastic to be collected. Plastic mattress wrap can be found online or at local grocery stores, hardware stores, storage and moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
Please call LRS if you are unsure if an item requires additional labor or equipment at 844.633.3577 or send a request with a photo of the item(s) by e-mail to Service@LRSrecycles.com
Electronic waste (E-Waste) are items that are banned from the landfill (cannot go in your normal trash). The items below are not included in your curbside collection and need to be taken to a secure drop-off locations. Please contact SWALCO for more information. 847.336.9340.
Examples of E-Waste
Computers | Computer Monitors | Televisions | Printers | Keyboards | Fax Machines | VCR’S | Portable Digital Music Players | DVD Player | Video Game Consoles | Computer Mouse | Scanners | Digital Converter Boxes | Cable Receivers | Satellite Receivers | DVD Recorders | Small-Scale Servers
According to the EPA, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances. All HHW items are banned from the landfill and will not be collected with curbside collection. LRS encourages residents to take advantage of the drop-off facilities and additional options provided by Lake County. Please refer to the attached webpage for the most up to date information: Household Chemical Waste (HCW) | Lake County SWALCO, IL
Examples of HHW:
- Oil Based Paints, Flammable Oils
- Oil, Lead, Urethane, Chromium Based Paints, Shellac, Water or Driveway Sealer, Oil-Based Stain, Varnish
- Pesticides / Herbicides / Fertilizers
- Poison, Lawn Chemicals, Weed Killer
- Spray-Paint, Hairspray, WD-40, Air Fresheners, Spray Adhesives, Oven Cleaner, Insecticide Bug Spray
- Automotive Chemicals / Fluids
- Antifreeze, Brake or Transmission Fluid, Gasoline, Diesel, Motor Oil
- Household Cleaners (Acidic/Caustic)
- Bleach, Ammonia, Muriatic Acids, Pool Cleaners, Drain Cleaners, Solvents, Paint Stripper or Thinner
- Bulbs / Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs, CFL, NiCad, Lithium, Lead Acid, – Automotive, Marine and Sump Pump Batteries
Contact LRS at 844.633.3577 or send an e-mail with a photo of the item(s) to Service@LRSrecycles.com for items you are unsure of. Items requiring additional labor and/or equipment to manage are considered a Special Refuse Collection. Examples of Special Refuse Collection items include a sleeper sofa, construction debris item(s), TV console and entertainment center. LRS will provide a cost estimate if we are able to provide the service. LRS does not guarantee collection of every item.
Holiday service will be provided one day later than regular collection if the holiday falls Sunday through Friday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, service will not be affected.
New Year’s Day Independence Day Christmas Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day Labor Day
Residents are billed for refuse services through the Village. LRS only bills for additional containers and yard waste subscription. Please reach out to the Village with any billing questions.
For more information, questions and to arrange for services, please call LRS Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. at 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com
Improperly prepared materials placed for collection will not be collected.
How do I clean my cart?
Fill the cart with hot water and a capful of vinegar or grease-cutting dish soap. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse. Once the cart has been thoroughly rinsed, set the cart out with the lid open in the sun to dry.
What if I need my cart replaced?
Carts that are broken due to damage incurred during the collection are reported by the driver for replacement at no charge. Residents are encouraged to contact LRS if they notice damage to the cart during the collection process to request a replacement cart.
If damage occurs to the cart due to other reasons, please contact LRS to request a replacement cart.
Is this considered garbage?
Latex paint is considered regular garbage, but it must be completely dried, with the lid off so the driver is able to see inside the can. Dry latex paint by leaving lid off or open and/or mix kitty litter until the paint is completely absorbed. Do not place out for collection until the paint is completely dry.
Alkaline batteries are considered regular garbage and should be thrown into the garbage. It is always recommended that tape be used on each end of the battery and placed into a plastic sandwich bag when disposing of them.
How do I report a missed pickup?
If your waste or recycling is not collected on the service day by 7pm, please contact LRS by calling 844.633.3577 or email Service@LRSrecycles.com Please include your address and what service was missed.
You can also reach out by submitting a support request in the top right-hand section of this webpage.