Schaumburg, IL: Garbage, Recycling, Yard Waste Collection Program
Since May 1, 2022, LRS has been the village’s exclusive residential service provider for curbside waste, recycling and yard waste for Schaumburg homes.
Each home receives two carts, one for waste and one for recycling. There is no cost for the carts. Carts are available in the following sizes: 35-gallon, 64-gallon, and 96-gallon.
Residents may also continue to use their own personal containers for trash and recycling services if they so choose.
Garbage, recycling and yard waste shall be placed curbside the day of collection no later than 7 a.m. to ensure they are collected.
Click here to explore the interactive collection day map.
Waste collection will continue on a weekly basis. Schaumburg and LRS will continue to allow residents to use additional personal receptacles in addition to their LRS cart.
In addition to curbside waste collection, LRS offers a variety of other waste services.
Bulk Items / Excess Garbage
LRS will take 2 cubic yards of additional waste that is not able to fit into your cart as long as it is within Illinois landfill regulations and it is safe to handle by the driver(s). Up to 2 bulk items will be collected as long as each item is under 50 pounds and under 2 cubic yards.
For health and safety reasons, mattresses and box springs are requested to be wrapped in plastic to be collected at the curb/street side. Plastic mattress wrap can be found at local grocery stores, hardware stores, storage and moving outlets. If using loose plastic, it must be completely taped and secured on all corners with no exposure to the mattress.
If you are looking to dispose of a toilet, we do ask, for safety of the team due to the weight, for the item to please be separated (i.e. the bowl and the tank pulled apart in two parts).
For items that do not fit the above criteria, LRS will provide service as needed, scheduled at an agreed upon per-yard basis. This service will be upon request, and billed separately.
Upon request, LRS will provide collection of major appliances, including but not limited to ovens and refrigerators.
Residents simply need to call LRS and speak to a representative who will set up a date to collect the item, and provide a quote for removal. This will be billed separately.
LRS will provide curbside collection of Christmas trees for the month of January at no charge. Only live trees (not in bags) free of any tinsel, lights or ornaments will be accepted.
Additional waste carts are available for a small monthly rental fee. Please contact LRS to do so.
LRS will provide residents with one recycling cart at no cost that will be collected weekly on the same day as your waste. Residents may place out as many recyclable items as they wish each week for collection. Recyclable material that won’t fit in recycling carts may be placed at the side of the cart. Larger or bulky boxes must be broken down before collection.
Additional recycling carts are available for a small monthly fee. Please contact LRS to do so.
Please be sure to properly prepare acceptable materials before placing them in your recycle cart using the guidelines found in “Additional Recycle Guidelines.”
- Newspaper & inserts, Magazines, Catalogs & Phone books
- Computer printouts
- Hanging file folders (remove metal and trash it)
- Glossy brochures
- Index cards
- Stationery fax paper
- Junk mail
- Cardboard boxes
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Office paper/notebooks
- Pastel sticky notes
- Greeting cards
- Manila Folders
- Paperback books
Recyclable items must be clean.
- NO used paper plates or pizza boxes, or fluorescent paper (they contaminate the paper stream with food, dye, or plastic coating). If pizza box top is clean you can tear it off and recycle it.
- NO paper towels, tissues, or napkins, which are not recyclable because the fibers are too small to reuse (please compost them with kitchen food scraps if possible).
- NO shredded paper – Loose shredded paper causes major sorting problems in the recycling facilities.
- NO frozen food boxes, which are made of a hybrid of paper and plastic, and are not wanted by paper mills.
- NO paper cups, which are also made of a hybrid of paper and plastic rendering them unrecyclable.
Plastic bottles, Plastic tubs and Plastic jugs
- NO plastic bags or plastic film (plastic wraps, sandwich bags, freezer bags, tarps).
- NO plastic utensils or plates (plastic wraps, sandwich bags, freezer bags, tarps, cups, lids or straws).
- NO candy wrappers, cereal bags, potato chip bags or snack bags.
- NO empty motor oil, pesticide or chemical bottles.
- NO Styrofoam, polystyrene (do not put in curbside bin).
- Empty, Rinse, Do not crush or flatten, Leave caps and tabs on
- Food and Drink Cartons
- Milk, Soup and Juice
Aluminum Cans & Foil
- Empty, Rinse, Do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles & Jars
- All colors are accepted
- NO window or auto glass, bakeware, ceramics, mirrors, light bulbs, coffee pots or drinking glasses.
LRS will provide seasonal yard waste collection from the first full week in April through the second full week in December. Residents may use and place out their own 35-gallon or smaller cans with yard waste, or brown kraft bags free of charge. User-owned cans should be clearly marked as “YW,” and may not weigh more than 50lbs (this weight limit also applies to kraft paper bags). The bundle size is restricted to 4’ in length, 2’ diameter, and no heavier than 50 pounds. Branches cannot exceed 3” in diameter.
As part of the Village’s new contract with LRS, residents may place organic material and food waste with the yard waste they set out for collection. Nearly 20% of all food waste ends up in landfills, so we encourage participation. Residents may also rent a yard waste/compost cart for a small monthly fee. Please contact LRS to do so.
Please note that yard waste is excluded for multi-family dwellings.
Your yard waste service day will be on the same day as your waste and recycling.
LIGHT BULB & BATTERY DROP OFF – ATCHER MUNICIPAL CENTER, PUBLIC WORKS, PRAIRIE CENTER FOR THE ARTS
HOLIDAY LIGHT & COPPER WIRE DROP OFF – THIS IS AVAILABLE YEAR-ROUND AT EPW. THIS IS SEASONAL AT THE VILLAGE HALL, DECEMBER AND JANUARY.
MEDICAL WASTE DROP OFF – POLICE DEPARTMENT (MEDICATIONS) & VILLAGE NURSING BUILDING (SYRINGES & NEEDLES) )
LRS is providing Schaumburg an Annual Electronic Waste Home Collection curbside and weeklong event, from October 2nd – 6th, 2023. Registration and enrollment is required through this portal https://www.lrsrecycles.com/e-waste-event-schaumburg/ as the village is also happy to offer a drop-off event on Saturday the 7th, with information found on this link: https://www.villageofschaumburg.com/residents/green-corner/recycling-events
LRS E-waste pickup information and Instructions:
- Sign-up runs from Monday, August 7th through Friday September 22nd.
- In order to participate, you must fill out this online form below or contact LRS at 844-NEED-LRS for your address to be included.
- Pickup is no charge and limited to LRS Village of Schaumburg curbside residential customers.
- Please place your items near the street, either loose (do not use plastic bags) or clearly marked in cardboard boxes as “EWASTE”, with collection beginning at 7 AM the day before your regular scheduled service day, on your regular service day or a day after, from Monday October 2nd through Friday October 6th.
- There is a seven (7) item limit including only one (1) TV or (1) Monitor
- Tube TV’s may not exceed 40” (inches) or 100 pounds
- Flat Screen TV’s may not exceed 60”(inches) or 100 pounds
- Appliances are not included as electronic recycling and require their own special curbside pickup.
- Collection is for household E-Waste items only. Commercial or business electronics are not accepted
- Items not reflected on this list of being acceptable will not be collected. Unacceptable items will be left behind.
- This service is designated for residents that have prearranged for it as part of the LRS service offerings.
- If you do not have a chance to sign-up by the September 22nd deadline, you can get rid of your E-waste by participating in the drop-off event on October 7th, in the village. For information on the event, please visit https://www.villageofschaumburg.com/residents/green-corner/recycling-events
- NOTE: After September 22nd, the LRS E-Waste submission page will close.
ACCEPTED ITEMS INCLUDE:
Telecommunication Equipment, Cell Phones, Cell Phone Batteries, Cell Phone Chargers, Cable Receivers, Digital Converter Boxes, Satellite Receivers, Small Scale Servers, Switches, Circuit Boards, Amplifiers, Hard Drives, Power Supplies, UPS Batteries, PCs, Key Boards, Mice, Servers, LCD Monitors, CRT Monitors, Floppy Drives, CD Rom Drives, Laptops, Computer Cables, AC Adapters, Internal Power Supplies, Plastic Electronics, Aluminum Electronics, Steel Electronics, Yokes, Fans, Electric Motors, Hard Drive Boards, Memory, Modem/Routers, Transformers, Stereo Equipment, Portable Music Players, Hand Held Radios, Video Game Consoles, DVD Players, VCRs, Office, Cordless Phones Ballasts, Printers, Faxes, Copy Machines, Scanners, Sealed Lead Acid Batteries, Steel Encased / Industrial Batteries, Li-Ion Batteries, Ni-Cad Batteries, Nickel Metal, Hydride Batteries, CPUs, CRT TV’s LCD / Plasma TV’s