CITY OF DARIEN RESIDENTIAL WASTE & RECYCLING
LRS is honored to be the exclusive waste service provider for Darien homes beginning Friday, April 1, 2022. LRS is an independent service provider headquartered in Morton Grove, IL. On behalf of our local Darien team, we look forward to providing services for your home every week and being part of the Darien community.
Important Information Regarding Upcoming Transition of Service
Darien’s new waste service program includes collection of unlimited amounts of properly prepared garbage, recycling, yard waste and approved food scraps, and one large (bulk) item per week will be collected for no additional charge.
Waste Stickers No Longer Used
The waste stickers will no longer be used for garbage and yard waste. The cost for service is $20.95 per month and billed on a quarterly basis. Quarterly billing is sent in January, April, July and October.
Waste Sticker Refunds Provided Through Friday, April 29, 2022
REFUNDS for unused Advanced Disposal, City of Darien Waste Stickers are provided through Friday, April 29, 2022 at Darien City Hall, 1702 Plainfield Rd in Darien until 5:00 p.m.
- March 31, 2022 | Final day to use (pink) Advanced Disposal, Darien Waste Stickers
- April 1, 2022 | Advanced Disposal Waste Stickers no longer used beginning today
- April 29, 2022 | Final day to receive a refund for Advanced Disposal Waste Stickers
Each Home Receives a Waste Cart & Recycle Cart
Homes with curbside collection will receive two carts before the start of service. LRS offers 65 or 95-gallon garbage and recycle carts as part of the new program.
Homes that do not select preferred cart sizes during the enrollment period will be provided with a 95-gallon cart for both. Carts selected after the enrollment period ending on Feb. 4, 2022, will be delivered as soon as possible. Carts must be left out to be exchanged, if applicable.
Senior Program Available
LRS offers a Senior Program with a 35-gallon waste and recycle cart. Senior Program Enrollment enrollment ends Friday, February 4, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. at Darien City Hall, 1702 Plainfield Rd, Darien, IL. See Senior Program section below to learn more.
18-Gallon Recycle Bins Banned – Please Do Not Use For Recyclables
The City of Darien has banned the use of the 18-gallon recycle bins and they are not allowed to be used. Please know if they are placed out for collection, LRS will take the entire bin to be recycled.
Property Owners Required To Enroll For Service
Property owners of homes receiving curbside waste collection are required by the City of Darien to have a weekly waste collection service. Service is not optional and LRS is obligated to provide service for each home. Please be sure to enroll for service and select your cart size preferences before 6:00 pm on Feb. 4, 2022.
Click on the Darien Cart Selection and Program Enrollment link in the upper right-hand corner of this page to select cart sizes and enroll for weekly service before the deadline, February 4, 2022 at 6:00 pm. You may call LRS Customer Service at 844-633-3577 for enrollment assistance.
Yard Waste And Food Scraps
Residents may mix approved food scraps with yard waste to be composted instead of throwing in the trash. More information can be found in the Yard Waste and Food Scraps section of this webpage.
Mattresses Must be Wrapped in a Plastic Mattress Cover
For health and safety, mattresses and bedsprings are now required to be covered in a plastic mattress cover and taped securely shut. Plastic mattress covers may be purchased at places like Walmart, Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, and storage unit facilities.
Electronic Waste (e-waste collection)
LRS will provide two curbside Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Home collections the week of May 2 and September 19, 2022. Information on what is accepted and not accepted may be found under the section titled Electronic Waste. These will be provided at no additional cost and registration will be announced and open in April 2022.
What is Not Changing?
Collection Days Stay The Same | Service Starts at 6:00 A.M.
Collection days are not changing. All materials for collection must be placed out by 6:00 a.m. to ensure collection.
Important Dates to Know – Transition of Services in 2022
|JAN 5||Cart selection and program enrollment begins|
|FEB 4||Cart selection and program enrollment period ends at 6:00 PM|
|FEB 4||Senior Program enrollment ends at 5:00 PM at Darien City Hall|
|MAR 25-31||LRS cart deliveries begin and Waste Management removes their carts|
Waste Management will remove their carts within three days following their final day of collection. Leave Waste Management carts out after they have been emptied. This includes carts branded by Veolia, Advanced Disposal, and Waste Management.
LRS is prohibited from servicing carts branded by another waste service provider.
LRS provides weekly collection of waste, recycling, yard waste, food scraps, bulk items and white good appliances for Darien homes that receive curbside collection services.
Each home receives a cart for waste and a cart for recyclables. The cost for the program is $20.95 per month beginning in April 2022.
Unlimited Waste Collection Program Includes:
- Choice of either a 65-gallon or 95-gallon cart for waste and garbage
- Weekly collection of an unlimited amount of waste, recyclables, yard waste and approved food scraps
- Collection of one (1) bulk item per week – no additional charge
Waste Collection Guidelines
All items must be placed out for collection by 6:00 A.M. on your service day. LRS carts for waste are to be used for all waste materials. Materials should be contained within the cart.
Non-LRS containers may be used for additional waste and must meet the following criteria:
- Non-LRS containers must have two handles or a grip
- Garbage must be contained and fit inside the container when full
- Non-LRS containers (garbage cans) may not exceed 33-gallons, or 50 pounds when full
- Loose garbage bags may not exceed 30 gallons, 50 pounds and must be securely tied
BULK ITEMS are large items that are too large to fit into your LRS garbage cart. Examples of bulk items include a table, chair, mattress, bed frame, box spring, fixture, large picture or frame, toy, or carpet rolls.
LRS will collect one bulk item per week for no charge. Any additional bulk items require advance notice and payment of $15 per cubic yard.
Bulk Items must be a manageable weight for a service driver to lift into a collection bucket. Please notify LRS for excessively heavy items.
Carpet Rolls must be tied in rolls not to exceed 4 feet in length, or 18 inches in diameter.
Construction Debris may be placed in LRS waste cart or non-LRS container not to exceed 34-gallons or secured in tied bundles not to exceed 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Residents may place up to 2 cubic yards for curbside pickup on your regular day of service for collection at no charge. If you have more please call or e-mail LRS a photo at Service@LRSrecycles.com for an estimate and to preschedule the pickup.
Mattresses and Box Springs must be enclosed in a plastic mattress cover or be completely covered in plastic for health and safety reasons. Plastic mattress covers are available at hardware stores and other retail outlets such as Walmart, Target, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot and storage facilities.
Senior Waste Program
Seniors ages 65 and older may enroll for the Senior Program which includes a limited amount of waste collection and unlimited recyclables and yard waste collection. This program includes a smaller, light-weight, 35-gallon cart for garbage. It is on wheels with a long handle bar and attached lid.
LRS Senior Program Includes:
- One 35-gallon waste cart | Waste is limited to cart capacity
- One recycle cart, any size (35-gallon, 65-gallon or 95-gallon)
- Unlimited collection of recycling, yard waste and approved food scraps
- Weekly collection of one bulk item for no additional charge
Senior Program Enrollment Before Transitioning of Service on April 1, 2022
Seniors may enroll at any time however, during the initial transition period, it is important to have enrollment submitted no later than February 4, 2022 to ensure your specific cart requests are ordered in time to be delivered before service begins.
All enrollments and program cancellations are required in writing.
Senior Program Enrollment
To enroll for the SENIOR PROGRAM, complete the Senior Program Enrollment form and chose one of the options to provide verification of your age using an Illinois State ID, Driver’s License or US Passport.
- Click here for INSTRUCTIONS and the SENIOR PROGRAM ENROLLMENT form
- Request the Senior Program Enrollment form by E-Mail at Service@LRSrecycles.com or by calling 844-633-3577
- Darien City Hall has the Senior Form and will verify your ID and submit the request on your behalf
- You may submit your request at City Hall until February 4th at 5:00 PM.
Darien City Hall is located at 1702 Plainfield Rd, Darien, IL | Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
ID VERIFICATION PROCESS
- Make a copy of your current state-issued identification card showing your name, address and date of birth.
- Send copy of ID and completed enrollment form by E-Mail or Mail to:
- E-Mail | Service@LRSrecycles.com
- Mail | LRS Darien Senior Enrollment 6132 Oakton St. Morton Grove, IL 60053
- In-Person | Darien City Hall, 1702 Plainfield Rd, Darien, IL
Recycling collection includes a recycle cart and weekly collection of an unlimited amount of recyclables.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day of the week as garbage and yard waste
- There is no additional charge for the recycling service
- Recycle carts are available in 65-gallon and 95-gallon
- Senior’s enrolled in the Senior Program receive a 35 gallon recycle cart but may choose a 65 or 95-gallon instead
- All items must be placed out for collection by 6 AM on collection day
- LRS Recycle Carts must be used for recyclable materials
Non-LRS Containers Used For Recycling Materials Must Meet The Following Requirements:
- Non-LRS containers are only used for additional recyclables
- Containers must have two handles or a grip
- Recyclable materials must be contained inside the container and not exceeding capacity
- Recycle containers are required to have a lid
- Non-LRS containers may not exceed 33-gallons or 50 pounds when full
Remove metal clips and rings, notebook spirals, three-ring binders, and industrial size staples. Envelopes with cellophane windows are accepted.
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Office paper, notebooks, computer printouts, hanging file folders, pastel-colored sticky notes (no fluorescent), glossy brochures, index cards, greeting cards, stationery, fax paper, manila folders and envelopes
- Junk mail
- Chipboard/paperboard – cereal, cracker, tissue, shoe, gift, and 6/12-pack boxes, paper towel tubes, and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and cut
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
- Empty and rinse, labels may be left on
- Food cans and lids
- Metal paint cans and lids (must be empty and dry, some dried paint residue is fine)
- Metal lids are recyclable
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten, leave caps and tabs on
- Food and drink cartons
- Milk, soup, and juice
Aluminum Cans & Foil
- Empty, rinse, do not crush or flatten
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil (ball clean foil to 2 inches or larger, no flat foil or small balled up foil)
- Pie plates & trays
Glass Bottles & Jars
- Empty, rinse, labels are ok to leave on
- All glass colors are accepted
- Leave plastic screw-top caps on empty bottles and jars
- Empty and rinse; labels may be left on
- Bottles include: Water, soda, juice, laundry detergent, soap/shampoo, health and beauty products and cleaners
- Tubs include: coffee, tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt, margarine tubs, fruit or lettuce
- Jugs include: milk and juice
- Jars include: mayo, peanut butter
Yard Waste & Food Scrap Collection
Yard Waste & Food Scrap Collection
- Yard Waste Season is April 1st through the second full week of December.
- Yard waste is collected on the same day of the week as garbage and recycling.
- There is no limit to the amount of yard waste that may be placed out for collection.
- Organic Food Scrap may be mixed with yard waste and includes bread, cereal, coffee grounds, dairy, eggshells, eggs, fruits, grain, pasta shells, and vegetables.
- All items must be placed out for collection by 6:00 A.M. on collection day.
- Yard waste bags are to be a minimum of 2-ply, biodegradable paper, not to exceed 30-gallons or 50 pounds when full.
- • Non-LRS containers may be used so long as they do not exceed 33 gallons in size or 50 pounds in weight when full. Containers must clearly indicate YARD WASTE. Yard waste container labels stickers are available at City Hall. Non-LRS containers must have two handles for lifting. LRS does not recommend using your own container as drivers may use the automated lifting mechanism which may damage your container. LRS will not repair or replace non-LRS containers used for yard waste.
- Yard waste brush bundles limbs, branches or other loose items which do not exceed four (4) feet in diameter and fifty (50) pounds in weight. Branches must be no more than four (4) inches in diameter, with the total diameter of the bundle not to exceed twenty-four (24) inches.
- Stumps or root balls should be bagged and thrown into regular garbage. For extra-large stumps or root balls, contact LRS for a special collection, or a local landscape company.
- Christmas Tree Collection will occur the first two (2) FULL weeks of January at no charge. Trees longer than 7’ must be cut in half. Trees must be completely free of all decorations and may not be in plastic bags.
Billing & Invoice Options
Billing & Invoice Options
Auto-pay and paperless billing will need to be established new with LRS. This cannot be done until after you receive your first invoice by mail. Instructions will be provided with your first LRS invoice.
- LRS bills in advance on a quarterly basis every January, April, July and October.
- Invoices will be sent to your SERVICE ADDRESS unless you provide LRS with a different mailing address.
- Paperless Billing is available by registering online at: https://www.lrsrecycles.com/pay-bill/
- Pay your bill or select Auto-Pay online at: https://payment.lrsrecycles.com/portal/templanding/
- Mail Payment: LRS, PO BOX 554884 Detroit, MI 48255-4884
If you need assistance, please call or e-mail LRS Customer Service for assistance with paperless billing, paying your bill or registering for auto-pay at 844-633-3577 (844-NEED-LRS) or Service@LRSrecycles.com.
White Good Appliance Collection
White Good Appliance Collection
Some appliances require special handling as they may contain harmful chemicals or they need to be recycled at a special location. Call 844-633-3577 or E-mail LRS Customer Service at Service@LRSrecycles.com to schedule and pay for a white good appliance collection.
Examples of White Goods or Appliances:
- Air Conditioner
- Clothes Dryer
- Cook Top and Cooking Plate
- Cooker or Bakers Oven
- Drying Cabinet
- Kitchen Stove or Oven Range
- Microwave Oven
- Refrigerator or Refrigeration equipment
- Washing Machine
- Water Heater
Vacation Hold & Seasonal Hold
Vacation Hold & Seasonal Hold
LRS provides two options for residents as it pertains to temporarily stopping service for any reason. Requests must be made in writing by the resident to LRS by e-mail sent to our LRS Customer Service e-mail address (Service@LRSrecycles.com) or sent by US mail to LRS Darien Customer Service, 6132 Oakton St., Morton Grove, IL 60053, prior to the Vacation/Seasonal Hold week and at least 7 days prior to the hold request.
LRS will confirm receipt within 24 hours. If receipt confirmation is not provided, a resident will be required to prove the request was submitted or it will not be honored. LRS will not honor vacation requests that arrive by mail the day of vacation start or after the start of vacation or seasonal hold for the current week.
Accounts must be paid up to date to qualify for a Vacation or Seasonal Hold. Vacation Hold and Seasonal Hold are different. Here are the options available:
Vacation Hold Policy
Vacation Hold is allowed for up to three service weeks (Sunday through Saturday). LRS will provide two (2) vacation holds per contract year (April-March) per home. Vacation Hold weeks cannot be split up and must be started from Sunday and run through Saturday with regards to billing. There will be no additional charge for vacation hold.
Seasonal Hold Policy
Seasonal Hold is allowed for a minimum of three (3) full service months and up to six (6) months per contract year. Seasonal Hold is allowed twice per contract year (April –March) so long as the minimum three (3) month time-frame is honored for both requests. Seasonal Hold is adjusted by the service week (Sunday through Saturday) as is with the Vacation Hold Policy.
In 2022, LRS will provide two curbside Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Home Collections, the week of May 1st and September 19th. There will be no charge for this service. Registration will be required and open online approximately 3 weeks before the event. Late registrations will not be included in the collection and will require a special pickup fee paid in advance.
|May 2-6, 2022||First 2022 Curbside E-Waste Home Collection on your pick-up day|
|Sept 19-23, 2022||Second Curbside E-Waste Home Collection on your pick-up day|
- Seven (7) item limit including only one (1) TV or (1) Monitor
- Tube TV’s may not exceed 40” (inches) or 100 pounds
- Flat Screen TV’s may not exceed 48”(inches) or 100 pounds
- LRS may provide an estimate for a special handling fee of E-Waste exceeding limitations. If you would like to inquire about an estimate, please e-mail: Service@LRSrecycles.com or call 844-NEED-LRS
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) includes the following landfill banned electronics:
- Cable Receivers
- Cellular Phones
- Computers (desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet)
- Digital Converter Boxes
- Digital Video Disc Players
- Digital Video Disc Recorders
- Electronic Keyboards
- Electronic Mice
- Facsimile Machines
- Portable Digital Music Players
- Satellite Receivers
- Small Scale Servers
- TV’s and Monitors
- Videocassette Recorders
- Video Game Consoles